Hornet help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OursonAnglaise

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I have just done my inspection (I know it's early, but it is very warm here & I've found the bees are less agitated)

I have just noted a hornet (a big b*gger!)hanging around the entrance- not trying to get in, but picking off bees as they come & go to eat...:smash:

What should I do? If anything? I have some hornet traps which I'll set up, but I don't think they will stop this activity?

Last edited:
I have just done my inspection (I know it's early, but it is very warm here & I've found the bees are less agitated)

I have just noted a hornet (a big b*gger!)hanging around the entrance- not trying to get in, but picking off bees as they come & go to eat...:smash:

What should I do? If anything? I have some hornet traps which I'll set up, but I don't think they will stop this activity?

what type is it, can you get some pictures?

I saw a few around my hives in the woods, sat there blasting them with the 410, lol

little bit overkill

I think swatting it is a bad idea until you know what type it is. Asian Hornets are all over France now I believe and site their colonies near beehives with the sole aim of predating on the bees. They can mount an attack (on you !!) if you swat and miss. Beekeepers have been killed in France. Not sure of the circumstances but do be careful. Get an ID of the critter first.

Bee base has info on how to distinguish between Asian and European hornets.

http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/index.cfm?pageid=208

another site that says they will only attack if they think their nest is threatened and recommends swatting - and calling a pesty if the nest is nearby.

http://www.planetepassion.eu/wildli...tina-nigrithorax_frelon asiatique_france.html

Last edited:

"Hawking" at a beehive entrance is a characteristic behaviour of the Asian Hornet.

They aren't things you can realistically deal with yourself.
Get local pest control help (via the commune offices or mairie?) and swiftly, as they will, left to themselves, wipe out a bee colony.

What needs to be done is to locate the nest and then deal with that. (They are big...) No point trying to pick off individuals.

The time to set traps is in the Spring, to prevent the hornet colonies becoming established. Bit useless now.

Vocabulary : Asian Hornet = Frelon Asiatique

I think swatting it is a bad idea until you know what type it is. Asian Hornets are all over France now I believe and site their colonies near beehives with the sole aim of predating on the bees. They can mount an attack (on you !!) if you swat and miss. Beekeepers have been killed in France. Not sure of the circumstances but do be careful. Get an ID of the critter first.

Bee base has info on how to distinguish between Asian and European hornets.

http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/index.cfm?pageid=208

another site that says they will only attack if they think their nest is threatened and recommends swatting - and calling a pesty if the nest is nearby.

http://www.planetepassion.eu/wildli...tina-nigrithorax_frelon asiatique_france.html

There have been no confirmed sightings of the asian hornet in the UK, despite what the media tells us.

There have been no confirmed sightings of the asian hornet in the UK, despite what the media tells us.

Kaz, the OP is in the Haute Garonne, in France.

It is very likely indeed that he has an Asian Hornet problem, and that there is local expertise for him to call upon via his local 'council' offices.

It is very likely indeed that he has an Asian Hornet problem, and that there is local expertise for him to call upon via his local 'council' offices.

Sorry. Didn't spot that. Ignore me lol. I hope his council office is a tad more helpful than ours ;)

Thats why i asked for a pic to see if it is then theres no guessing.

If it's a biggun, it'll be european. Asian hornets are only 3cm in length but from what I hear asian hornets are becoming a big problem in europe. You are right though, always best to get a proper ID. Still doesn't help the original problem though. Once they know there is a good supply of tasty bees, you are in trouble :O

The behaviour described ("hawking") is typical of the Asian, which is why I said "very likely indeed".

Rather than getting and posting his own photo for you to pass judgement upon, much quicker and simpler that he just looks up photos online himself, and compares that/those to what he is seeing.

The behaviour described ("hawking") is typical of the Asian, which is why I said "very likely indeed".

When do the first workers emerge itma? Are they like wasps and swarm feed once they find a source?

If its Asian hornet, you probably have more experience in dealing with it than we do in the UK. From the desription, I doubt it is though.
This is an APHA video of asian hornets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrjrqKdNwuI

Thanks all for your replies. Have been out again to try to get a photo, but its gone camera shy. From what I remember it had orange markings on its face.

Have tried looking on the Internet, but not come up with anything yet.

Will keep checking & post when I can.

There was no sign of hornets till this week, hence not putting up the traps. There is no nest in the garden that I can see or hear, but as we're in a mountainous/countryside region with lots of woods around us they could be anywhere.

Having had another look at it, & comparing to photos on the Internet it would appear to be a European hornet....big but not a giant Asian hornet.

One just tried to get a bee & went away empty handed & then got distracted by a butterfly.

Still not able to get a photo, it wouldn't stay still long enough. :paparazzi:

Bees do not seem to be upset at this time, & the inspection this morning went as normal

Have a look at this image OA. Shows the three different hornets side by side. Seems by your description it will be the european. This is the text with the picture, by Steve Falk.

"Three hornet species found in Europe. Oriental hornet (Vespa orientalis) left (queen above, worker below), European hornet right (queen above, worker below) and Asian hornet centre (worker)"

Attachments

• The three hornet species found in Western Europe. Vespa orientalis left (queen above, worker bel.jpg
    The three hornet species found in Western Europe. Vespa orientalis left (queen above, worker bel.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 32
Thanks Kaz,

Yes I agree with you. I am leaning on the side of European hornet.

I think (hope) this is a good thing & my bees will survive despite a few being picked off for dinner.

I will try too keep an eye on the situation for the next couple of days.

Latest posts

Back