Horizontal Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moggs

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Could be interesting. On finding a promising spare supersedure cell, I threw caution to the wind and popped it into a mating nuc with a couple of frames' worth of bees.

The QC was 'secured' but has since fallen or has been taken down to the floor. It's horizontal, the bees have sealed it and stuck it down!

All seems well in their world. I'm watching with interest but not too hopeful of a star performer.

I had sealed QC that I cut out ( to get rid of) and it dropped to the floor by the entrance. I then forgot about it until I noticed just how interested the workers were in it- Obviously nothing came of it, but they were all over it for at least 10 days. Presumably pheremones.

Horizontal queens are very common when bees make queen cells between comb and lower frame bar.

I'm concerned that they have stuck the thing to the floor. Pointless trying to reposition it as it would surely be destroyed but it's probably getting a bit of a cool draught from underneath. I'll stuff some poly insulation under. Bees seem quite content and quite proud of their work :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back