Hopelessly queenless

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ely

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I have just finished inspecting my colony. No, queen, no brood. It was superceded back in July and looks like she was no good. It is my one and only colony that I bought in May to return to beekeeping. Is it worth buying a queen or should I try again in Spring?
Simon

I have just finished inspecting my colony. No, queen, no brood. It was superceded back in July and looks like she was no good. It is my one and only colony that I bought in May to return to beekeeping. Is it worth buying a queen or should I try again in Spring?
Simon
Don't take this wrong please,but didn't you do a weekly check up to see if the q was laying eggs,depending when she died or stopped laying a new q will not be enough to safe that hive,keeping in mind that the present bees getting old and the new bees getting born takes 21 days,so if you lead in a new q you also as soon as you see she's laying will best have to hang in a frame with closed off brood to make the bridge.W've done q changes in september before,if you do,need,to do couple of things,varoa treatment and depending on when the winter set in weight your hive and give extra sugar fluid or honey/sugar dough till the weight is right.

Simon
Simon if there no brood at all you’re in a hiding to nothing requeening. You can’t even add a test frame unless you can borrow a little young open brood from a fellow beekeeper.
Can anybody near you help?
If no you might as well put them in a nuc, feed them and pray

I thought as much. Thank you

Back