Hooray!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
My bees had a bit of a flight today. Bright and sunny and no breeze. Temperature between 35 and 40F. Not a big flight but something. Snow lightly spotted with yellow. No dead bees in the snow. Peeked at the home yard. No dead colonies. Getting anxious for spring, but that's months away around here. Back to below zero by Tuesday night.

We've gained a half hour of light in the evening, with sunset now at 4:41

Not so cold here but no flying at all this winter.......too wet!
E

Its been about 10C (50F?) with me for ages ...
There was a honeybee meandering outside the house window this morning - both me and the spider were surprised!

Some dry and crisp weather would make a nice change.

Bees were out and about for a while today here in Cork working Gorse

They are out collecting pollen in between the showers or torrential rail.

Not much activity around here today just a few flying, finally managed to get to one of the sites cut off by floods, all good weights when hefted except one which i gave fondant, when do you get snow melt Mike you say spring is a way off yet ? Chris

Tomorrow we will have temps around 17celsius.. Today was like on a pic, relative strong but not so cold southern wind, temp around 15celsius and bees whole day in pollen business ( hazel mostly).
This unreal weather continues, like it is a spring not winter..

They look very busy goran

Yes, indeed. Some time ago few colonies " hit the wall", I mean they completely moved cluster to one side and outer side of cluster is between hive wall and frame. I moved carefully complete frames with brood with two "knives" to center and "return" the honey frames around them. Then I noticed that one colony had approx. 1/4 frame of fresh pollen. Now I believe are full frames in question..
This what I did is not advisable, but learned from last year when similar thing happened and about two seams of strong colony lost due they hit the wall - and eat all the honey in that frame ( I presume also divided from the rest - but I am not skilled too good to be sure, these are my assumptions). And told to myself rather to I kill them with my risky moves than they commit suicide. But relative warm weather continued and bees are loose in the hive, who could tell or believe..
Luckily this winter same colony with same queen seems more than OK.

Not much activity around here today just a few flying, finally managed to get to one of the sites cut off by floods, all good weights when hefted except one which i gave fondant, when do you get snow melt Mike you say spring is a way off yet ? Chris

Usually in April but I've seen spring come in March. I've seen a 2 foot snow storm at the end of April. Last year the first bee flight was April 1 and the first pollen on the 15th. That was late.

This what I did is not advisable, but learned from last year when similar thing happened and about two seams of strong colony lost due they hit the wall - and eat all the honey in that frame ( I presume also divided from the rest - but I am not skilled too good to be sure,

Well you're skilled good now to be sure, and you found out that what the experts advise isn't always such good advice.

A few bees flying today, yesterday and Friday when the sun was at its highest. It has been mostly bright sunshine here. The hive is insulated.

Pen

There's lots of activity here in sunny south wales....the bees are flying on those odd occasions when there isn't a complete deluge and when it's above about 7 degrees C - they've even been flying during the spells of lighter rain, as if it were summer. Only cleansing / water collection flights I think - I haven't seen any pollen so far, but the snowdrops and hazel catkins are out. Must spend a bit more time watching them!

The downside is that, even though hives were so heavy in November that they felt as if they were anchored, with all this activity stores are being used up quite quickly, so I shall keep hefting - and be ready to feed if it should become necessary.

The bees are growing water wings..... cold and snow (just a bit) would do me fine, right now. Yesterday, I realised I was shouting at the sky

The bees are growing water wings..... cold and snow (just a bit) would do me fine, right now. Yesterday, I realised I was shouting at the sky

Yup - got some hives in the association apiary not far from you (Penllergaer) had to go there yesterday to get some belgosuc for a member. Not a thing stirring.

Back