Honeybees on BBC World Service

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamHart

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All. Following on from BBC Radio 4 doc On the Trail of the American Honeybee (aired in March, see earlier threads), BBC World Service is airing two more docs with the same name over the next two week that I present as part of their Discovery strand. These are made from the interviews I got in California last year, and some interviews in this country last week. It's a two-parter - the first looking more at the culture of migratory beekeeping, the second looking more at the science of bees and threats. Material covered includes pesticides (interviews with Lynn Dicks and Nigel Raine), bee breeding (interview with Sue Cobey), bee nutrition (Eric Mussen among others) as well as John Miller (a real character and subject of The Beekeeper's Lament), Randy Oliver (who is a fantastic bee-guy to spend the day with) and the always amusing David Mendes (the marathon man of migratory beekeeping).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018n9g6 for info - first airing is tomorrow at 19.30 - plenty of repeats and it will be on iPlayer. World Service is also on Freeview. I am sure that as beekeepers you will find things with which you disagree, or that the reality of getting everything in means we had to simplify a bit. As I say to my students, biologists are people that shout at the TV and Radio! I must confess that I tend to shout a little less now that I have had some experience of the process...though a bumblebee being used to illustrate a honeybee usually does it!

is the first episode basically the radio 4 documentary repeated?

Above, Adam wrote
It's a two-parter - the first looking more at the culture of migratory beekeeping, the second looking more at the science of bees and threats.
They should be on iPlayer for a year, so when I get a chance ...

Back