Honey price 2024

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks better when the pot/jar is filled .... people think they're being short changed regardless of the right weight being on the label
Agree. A 4oz. hex is nominally 113g but honey density leaves it way down the jar; 227 is not so bad, 340 fills the neck fine.

For this reason I put in and label at 135g, 235g and 340g; in fact, I put in an extra 2g to those weights for safety.

UK beekeepers really ought to get up to speed with the modern retail world, which long ago left behind the pound and ounce and now deals in grammes and kg.
Not just the modern retail world :)

I keep my honey extraction and jarring records in kg but have a column with the imperial equivalents so that I'll be able to contribute to any beekeeper conversation in imperial about amounts of honey. It doesn't work though, because with two sets of columns, I end up remembering neither.

I'm going to delete the imperial column straightaway!

Not just the modern retail world :)

I keep my honey extraction and jarring records in kg but have a column with the imperial equivalents so that I'll be able to contribute to any beekeeper conversation in imperial about amounts of honey. It doesn't work though, because with two sets of columns, I end up remembering neither.

I'm going to delete the imperial column straightaway!
So as you go to delete said column, would that count as an Imperial Death March?

Hello. I hope I'm posting in the right place.
I have returned to bee keeping after a break of 20years due to a large stroke.
A lot of things have changed, pricing of honey being one.
I've done my new labels to be legal now.
Am I right in thinking that the area and roughly what other beekeepers charge is what I should base my price on?
At the moment I'm selling 340gm in new hexagonal jars for £5.00p.
The only other person near to me has no price or weight on the small board advertising honey for sale.
There are a lot of honesty boxes in our part of Norfolk selling plants, eggs and veg. But no honey.
What is your advice please ?
Make your own market - you know how much Honey you have to sell & the area around you. If you’ve tonnes of Honey to shift onto other vendors then pricing might be a bit different to that of supplying the end consumer. £5-£8 per 12oz at the end of the gate depending on your local market place & volume you have to shift would be a sensible place to start.
I supply my customers at a reasonable price & encourage them to sell to their customers at a reasonable price - quality product at an affordable price turning it over as quickly as possible. I’m interested in selling Honey not decorating shelves.

Make your own market - you know how much Honey you have to sell & the area around you. If you’ve tonnes of Honey to shift onto other vendors then pricing might be a bit different to that of supplying the end consumer. £5-£8 per 12oz at the end of the gate depending on your local market place & volume you have to shift would be a sensible place to start.
I supply my customers at a reasonable price & encourage them to sell to their customers at a reasonable price - quality product at an affordable price turning it over as quickly as possible. I’m interested in selling Honey not decorating shelves.
Wonderful. Thank you WoodenBeam.

As of today I’ve increased my 8 oz jars to £4.75 wholesale and 12 oz by 50p to £6.50 wholesale.
I’ve also been around delivering and swapped fresh jars for some that are crystallised.
after a bit of advice given 🙂 from someone on here.
I now have a delivery round in Hereford and Ludlow.
Plan is to add a couple more labels area specific, St Margaret’s honey and bishop meadows honey over the next season or two.

Latest posts

Back