Honey on holiday

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
At a French ski resort, honey sold in solid blocks. 31€50 per kg with a large block on open display.
20221219_121220.jpg
20221219_121223.jpg

Jarred honey at 17-18 € per 500g.

There's a post today on the shop's Instagram account of cutting up the honey with what looks like a cheese wire. I don't know how they get round honey being hygroscopic and on open display - I'd be concerned about the block absorbing moisture and inquisitive fingers.

I'm off to the Alps again in a couple of weeks but heading to Italy this time. Last time I was there I found some delicious dandelion honey which I will look out for again.

Maybe they have a quick turnover.
I’ve seen honey sold like butter blocks wrapped in grease proof

I’m down to my last half bucket.
20230204_171631.jpg

The tarassaco is the dandelion. Having had the monofloral, I'm fairly sure that my spring crop can have dandelion, it seems to be more dominant when we have a later spring and little OSR available locally.

Last edited:
View attachment 35128

The tarassaco is the dandelion. Having had the monfloral, I'm fairly sure that my spring crop can have dandelion, it seems to be more dominant when we have a later spring and little OSR available locally.
Really?
This is mine in the comb and crystallised in the jar

FE65672E-824B-4CC2-BF2B-27861F580DFC.jpeg
E816819E-208E-4B0F-B093-D2F78E9B1D4B.jpeg

I definitely get dandelion, the orchards where I have a couple of apiaries are covered in dandelions in the spring. But if the main flowering is before early to mid April my colonies aren't strong enough to get a majority crop from it.

I definitely get dandelion, the orchards where I have a couple of apiaries are covered in dandelions in the spring. But if the main flowering is before early to mid April my colonies aren't strong enough to get a majority crop from it.
Mine never are
I was lucky to get a bucket last year. I don’t normally take a spring crop

I think selling in a block is a damn good idea. No jar costs. I might ponder on this one.

Latest posts

Back