Honey gone thick and opaque

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have some 3 year old that has never crystallised and has a low water content.
Probably similar forage to Erica, (+ lime from the trees in the village) she lived in these parts in those days. Bramble is my biggest nectar source.

The forage is mostly hedgerow with a bit of ... well, have a look at the apiary site and you'll get the idea. It's rural with one off housing, no arable crops, no sheep just a bit of cattle.
Unfortunately I've no idea what the water content is and I don't have any way of testing.

It is well worth getting a honey fractometer, I managed without one for thirty years and got one last year. £20 from fleabay from china. So easy to use and gives a really good idea of water content before you extract.
Interested in your comment though black comb. This is my first year of a huge lime crop. As yet it is golden and still runny although it has got a little bit of clouding in some jars. I will let you know if it ever sets! I may be eating my words about most honey crystallising. Maybe I should have said, I have never had honey that hasn't crystallised until now! Never stop learning in this hobby! Anyway, re the original post, trust me.....there is nothing wrong with your honey dogged!

My honey never crystalizes, even after 2years in a cool environment. All I do is strain and jar, no heating. No OSR around here though.

Rather surprised. Perhaps the forage in your area is different from most others. Have you any explanation - or does the majority opinion on this site agree with you? Worth a survey?

Can't you just warm it up to get it clear again or does this affect taste?

You can warm it....GENTLY..... or it will affect the taste!

Back