Honey extractors RPM

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't the key thing here the RCF (relative centrifugal force) being applied to the honey in the frames rather than the RPM they're whizzing around at - that way you can compare across the range of extractor sizes?

500rpm on small diameter 2-frame extractor is going to be exerting a very different force to 500rpm on a large diameter 20-frame extractor. If you have a feel for the RCF required to extract honey, you can work out what speed you might need to run your extractor at to generate that sort of force.

Having said that, I dare say there's such a wide range for RCF being used you'll end up using a speed that seems to work for your particular circumstances.

A very well known supplier has extractors and I have found this if it helps with expected rpm for extracting
"The manual machines are highly geared, very easy to use and extremely robust. The electric machines are powered by an 80W reversible motor producing a maximum speed of 280rpm through a 10:1 reduction gearbox."

A very well known supplier has extractors and I have found this if it helps with expected rpm for extracting
"The manual machines are highly geared, very easy to use and extremely robust. The electric machines are powered by an 80W reversible motor producing a maximum speed of 280rpm through a 10:1 reduction gearbox."

My 4 frame el cheapo tangential stainless extractor popped a spot weld on Saturday so today I cleaned up an early model thornes 9 frame manual radial unit I bought at auction. I tried various rates of winding. Free flowing honey extracts well at around 100 rpm. A few frames were more viscous and I had to wind as fast as I could which gave a rotor speed around 200 rpm and that worked just fine in clearing the reluctant frames.

Back