Honey extractor cage lubrication

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekake

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi everyone,

My giordan drill-driven extractor is giving me cause for concern. After a couple of years perfect service, the drill (a silverline variable speed hammer drill, which has been a brilliant servant) has been struggling a bit. I swapped it out for an identical new replacement drill, but the problem remains. I tested the frame cage and it seems a bit stiff...but I am unsure how to lubricate it (instructions for extractor long since gone).

I've got around 100 frames to spin out over the next couple of weeks, but I don't want to burn out the drill. Can anyone offer advice on how to lubricate the cage please?

Thanks.

If you're lubricating, you'll need a tube of food grade grease, for a start, like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KENWOOD-FOOD-GRADE-GREASE-100G/dp/B000U1GAR6 (though others are available).

Unfortunately, I don't know your model, but hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

Hi everyone,

My giordan drill-driven extractor is giving me cause for concern. After a couple of years perfect service, the drill (a silverline variable speed hammer drill, which has been a brilliant servant) has been struggling a bit. I swapped it out for an identical new replacement drill, but the problem remains. I tested the frame cage and it seems a bit stiff...but I am unsure how to lubricate it (instructions for extractor long since gone).

I've got around 100 frames to spin out over the next couple of weeks, but I don't want to burn out the drill. Can anyone offer advice on how to lubricate the cage please?

Thanks.

A lot of frame cages in extractors are set vertically into a sort of collar (there's probably a better word to describe it but I does not come to mind). At the base of that collar there is a ball bearing - a single metal ball (mine is 6mm diameter). It's very easy to lose that ball when you're cleaning the apparatus after the harvest. It's not a bad idea to acquire a few spares of these bearings before you need one.

CVB

Hi everyone,

Thanks.

Does the belt need replacing? Otherwise as above.

I use olive oil as a lubricant
E

Me too. In fact, any cooking oil will help. You can also make your own grease by heating such oils with beeswax. Experiment to get the right consistency, If it's too thick, add more oil. If too runny you have hand balm or wood preserver.

I use olive oil as a lubricant
E

I do as well...I queired Giodan about using oil for the bearings and they replied not to if you have the plastic type bearings, My extractor has a metal bottom bearing so I use a drop of veg oil after cleaning at end of season. They also advised me that "all" extractors sold in UK are fitted with plastic bearings..but mine deffinately had metal bearings top and bottom. Found out lateley that it was delivered from Italy because none were available in UK when my family ordered it for me in 2010.

Mine has 2 points for lubrication. One at the top where a 4 washers and a washer with rollers in it (can't remember the name ? Bearing) and at the bottom where the steel rod sits in a brass tube.
I,ve only ever used liquid honey to lubricate both area, sometimes needing to top up the honey part of the way through a session. Has worked well for the 10yrs I've had the motorised extractor.
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back