Honey Crop

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willis944

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
On the lines of the 'I got squillions of pounds of honey' thread currently running, has anyone ever worked out how much honey a 10 frame (for example) super can actually hold. There must be a finite amount as there would still need to be bee space between frames etc. Perhaps one for the maths teachers out there!

On the lines of the 'I got squillions of pounds of honey' thread currently running, has anyone ever worked out how much honey a 10 frame (for example) super can actually hold. There must be a finite amount as there would still need to be bee space between frames etc. Perhaps one for the maths teachers out there!

well, my 8 per box spacing manley frames in a BS national yields about 30lb per super

This year the bees have been ignoring bee space - drawing the frames out so far that they are only a millimetre or two apart apart from a small area in the middle where they have ended up after backfilling it down. HAd a bit of a measure at last extraction and I was getting about 30lb per super - not counting the drainings from the cappings

I have pretty much the same results from both 9 space and 10 space supers.
On average 27-30lbs weight difference between coming off hive and after extraction.

A frame format would help. Commercial supers are somewhat wider than National, so some detail is missing or assumed. Some boxes (Langstroth) only hold 10 frames. So what is the OP actually trying to compare? A 14 x12 super will hold much more than either a shallow or deep National super.

Simpe unthought-out reply is that fewer frames in a National super can yield more honey than those with more frames. There is a limit of course. Simple maths once you realise there needs to be a space between each frame.

Think about it - check out the avatars - that's what I did

I did. I looked at that of the OP.(hive type:none). Didn't need to look at any others.

RAB

Latest posts

Back