Home made suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rink123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,
My wife made this suit for me what do you think? hope it will be ok. Its made from callico {an unbleached cotton} she is going to put some pockets on when I decide how many and shape/size I need. Elasticated legs and sleeve , the hood is zipped all the way round.

Wow. It looks as good as a bought one.

Could she make me a jacket with zip please? ;)

Looks excellent- I'm impressed! not worthy

Calico may be a little on the thin side- you might want to wear a long-sleeved shirt underneath. Pocket I use most is a hive tool pocket, about 1" shorter than the tool. Another useful addition is a couple of thumb loops on the cuffs to keep the sleeves down when you're pulling your gloves over the top. (incidentally, washing-up gloves are excellent)

That looks realy good, and it fits!!!
P.S
Where abouts in shropshire r u ? (not because i need a suit, just wondered :) )

what do you think?

Looks good. Probably far better than most on the market.

No reason to believe they cannot be made to a high standard by any decent seamstress. Looks like she has done a good job. I bet you are proud of her!

If I were to be really picky, maybe a little shorter in the arms might be good? Easier to shorten than lengthen, so no big deal.

RAB

Nice :) That's a project for me at some point (to be added to a very, very long list!)

Nice work.

Just keep an eye on the veil material in case it cracks or splits, but hopefully she will have sourced the same type of material the commercial manufacturers use.

That is brill is she taking orders

Cottage Industry

Looks great and could be a potential cottage industry looking at the standard of it.

It looks superb - I am very envious! Yours actually fits, and looks the business. I'd suggest wellies to make sure you don't get any ankle biter problems.

Make sure the neck all works. The zip should come together nicely, so they can't crawl through (you may well be able to see it from inside) or you'll need a good velcro seal on that thing under your chin.

For me it's important I feel as if they can't get in, as I'm more confident opening the hive. Worrying about a bee crawling up inside is just another thing to think about - I have enough on my mind without that extra hassle. As a result, the slightly "over-engineered" feeling of zips all being neat is a bonus for me.

What is the veil made from? Is it washable? With mine it detaches so I can chuck the boiler suit bit in the washer, and carefully do the veil.

Good luck with making the gloves!

MrB we are in Shrewsbury
Thank you all for the kind comments and the tips , I have told my wife I need thumb loops ,and the sleeves shortening ,she has put Velcro under the flap at the front and the boiler suit part unzips completely.
She didn't know where to get veil material so she doubled some net she bought from the fabric shop, if I rip it she says she has plenty more and can just replace but it seems quite strong .
This was the first she made without a pattern and in a hurry because I wanted it like "yesterday" ,so she feels she could make a better one especially when she finds the proper materials and more time lol.
She said I can only have her washing up gloves when I've done the washing up :rolleyes:

its absolutly brilliant job done well there.

did you see the video i have done, if like me you use a plastic type glove ask the wife to put on some ribbed cuffs as they are better than single cord elastic cuffs, as for the matterial i always use plain cotton but i wash it before sewing it to get rid of the shrinkage first, and i use a cotton canvas type stuff similar to a light weight demin or as mine is made from an old canvas camping frame tent, that canvas is so well made its great and such a shame to waste it

Calico? Lovely and thick then. Good against stings, but a little hot? Looks very good, mind.

Thanks
Pete I haven't seen the video can u post a link please good idea with the gloves, this calico is like a lightweight denim kind of heavy linen {see piccie}, I like the idea of using the old tent well done!

I'd be interested in the pattern. I'd even pay for a decent pattern as my missus would see it as a challenge project.

Thanks psafloyd it is warm which could be a problem when the weather is hot, my wife made it without a pattern ,it was just trial and error but she says she can now see where she can improve and maybe make a better one ;) just needs to find the correct veil material :)

Back