Home Made Oxallic Sublimator

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian
Sublimating oxalic is the bees knees.
It works even when there is brood.....provided you repeat the gassing
BUT you do need decent kit.

Brian
Sublimating oxalic is the bees knees.
It works even when there is brood.....provided you repeat the gassing
BUT you do need decent kit.

Cheers Eric :)

Define decent kit, would this contraption not suffice ?

Do you favour a particular specification for the apparatus ?

Cheers Eric :)

Do you favour a particular specification for the apparatus ?

Yes it would

but it's complicated by the fact that you can't now sublimate oxalic acid legally any more.......in the uk.
Unless you use Apibioxal which I understand from somebody else on the forum has sugar in it which caramelises in the vaporiser.......

Yes it would

but it's complicated by the fact that you can't now sublimate oxalic acid legally any more.......in the uk.
Unless you use Apibioxal which I understand from somebody else on the forum has sugar in it which caramelises in the vaporiser.......

Or ... you just follow JBM's lead in using OA Vapour to clean the inside of the hives ... by some strange coincidence it also cleans the varroa - strange that isn't it ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z_3RjvLT44

This home made version looks quite doable !!

I've seen worse that work but there are a few things about the video that you should be aware of:

1. You need to be sure that you have enough room to get it into or under your hive. The conventional way is through the entrance although with a bit of jiggery pokery you can do it under a mesh floor.

2. You will need to do a test to see how long it takes for 1gm 2gm or 3gm to evaporate fully so you know how long to to have the battery connected. HOWEVER... this is not something to do inside the workshop !!

3. OA Vapour is not very nice .. you really don't want to get a whiff of it - ideally you should have a fume mask when you are using it and even then stay well away from the vapour. You really will not enjoy getting any in your lungs ... you will cough like you have never coughed if you do ...

There are quite a few on ebay ... from a couple of quid upwards ... but if it was me I'd pay a bit more for this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-kettl...330302?hash=item589d6da3be:g:07sAAOxygPtSsZBK

As it's only got a single coil and it looks a bit thinner than some ... the leads look a bit thicker as well - with 12v dead load through it and delivering 120watts I don't like the idea of those that appear to have little more than bell flex on them.

There was a big thread on the forum last November about this subject but a lot of the photos were lost in the system reset some months ago. http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32124

There was also a comment on Youtube about the drinks heater sublimator that made some sense. It said that the drinks heater was only intended to operate at temperature up to about 100°C. As OA sublimates at about 160°, it's operating outside its design range of temperature.

AS the whole thing is going to cost less than £10, it might be worth the chance to make it and find out how long it will last in use.

CVB

Or ... you just follow JBM's lead in using OA Vapour to clean the inside of the hives ... by some strange coincidence it also cleans the varroa - strange that isn't it ?

I'd just like to correct you here, it doesn't clean the varroa. There is evidence to suggest that like students varroa do not like living in clean hive so leave them to seek a new home.

I'd just like to correct you here, it doesn't clean the varroa. There is evidence to suggest that like students varroa do not like living in clean hive so leave them to seek a new home.

Like it .... much better explanation ... :icon_204-2: Some of them must be on their last legs anyway as they get left behind on the inspection board !

Yes it would

No surprise the "Call me Dave" team have got it so wrong... my No 10 hive does not have a letter box on it too!!!

Mytten da

I'm looking to move to poly hives next year, is sublimation and issue when using poly hives?

It's on my 'to do' list and I'm just curious.

I'm looking to move to poly hives next year, is sublimation and issue when using poly hives?

I have used the Varrox to sublimate OA into BeeHiveSupplies polly Nationals, Don't go in thru the letterbox... put the sublimator under the OMF on a brick.

Strange I am going to be using sublimated OA on all my colonies next season as it cleans and sanitises the hive components wonderfully and effectively even if there are a colony of bees in it at the time!¬

My bees are all varroa free as far as I can see..... must go to Speckslavers!:icon_204-2:

Mytten da

Somebody did my Paynes and Swienty boxes while I wasn't looking.
Probably husband but that's all right....he can go to jail as long as they let him out to do it again next year :)

This is the route I am going to try with my poly hives. Ebay 301071199068 to stop the poly from melting. I believe Falesh has a video on you tube using it.

The video shows 2g in 2 minutes is vapourised. Is this OK?

Latest posts

Back