Holly flow?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
One of my new apiaries is surrounded by Holly. Last year May was a washout so i didn't get to see what the flow was like. So I was wondering if you guys know if Holly produces a regular flow, or is it a bit hit and miss like some other plants?

One of my new apiaries is surrounded by Holly. Last year May was a washout so i didn't get to see what the flow was like. So I was wondering if you guys know if Holly produces a regular flow, or is it a bit hit and miss like some other plants?
Like you I have lots of Holly around my apiarys and yes the flow can be very good, most years I see my bees working it well last year was a much better year, probably the best I've seen.

I also wanted to add its local for my girls and the tree forage isnt much up here so they possibly work it more so for that reason.

Like you I have lots of Holly around my apiarys and yes the flow can be very good, most years I see my bees working it well last year was a much better year, probably the best I've seen.

I also wanted to add its local for my girls and the tree forage isnt much up here so they possibly work it more so for that reason.
It's interesting you got a good flow; FF it last year. We got nothing from it last year due to the cold and there was only a very few berries for the birds over winter.

It's interesting you got a good flow; FF it last year. We got nothing from it last year due to the cold and there was only a very few berries for the birds over winter.
It flowered later up here as did the harwthorne, harwthorne was flowering really well up here second week in June!
As is most of the time at 450metres spring is later on the hills.

Edit: the cold early spring held the blossom back up here

My experience of it is that the bees will work it like mad if there is nothing else. In the 12 years I’ve been here it’s happened only once. Every morning the holly trees around here( there are lots and with masses of flowers) buzzed till lunchtime. I doubt you’d get any honey but I’m sure if anybody can,Curly will come up with a few jars 😉

My experience of it is that the bees will work it like mad if there is nothing else. In the 12 years I’ve been here it’s happened only once. Every morning the holly trees around here( there are lots and with masses of flowers) buzzed till lunchtime. I doubt you’d get any honey but I’m sure if anybody can,Curly will come up with a few jars 😉
IMG_20210508_141605.jpg
About a bucket full....

Just enter the appropriate text into the label printer, press "Print", and shazzakazzam - Holly Honey! :)

Just kidding CGF I know your honey is 100% genuine

Where do you get it tested ?
For that you would need a Hollyohoneyometer ... I'm sure Curly's got one ... if not, there's always his mate up the road who is a honey taster and can tell him that it's holly and which tree it came from ...
Honey tester.jpg

That explains why my bees go mad on my holly tree! Think it’s the same for the curly hazel too

dont they do it by analysing the pollen content?
I doubt there are any mono floral honeys in the U.K. unless the bees are intentionally put on a crop. OSR Borage and Heather spring to mind, doubtless others, maybe dandelion? So yes it’s the only way to be sure.
Considering my bees seem to have foraged on Holly when there was nothing else I would assume they were eating the nectar rather than putting it into supers.

I doubt there are any mono floral honeys in the U.K. unless the bees are intentionally put on a crop. OSR Borage and Heather spring to mind, doubtless others, maybe dandelion? So yes it’s the only way to be sure.
Considering my bees seem to have foraged on Holly when there was nothing else I would assume they were eating the nectar rather than putting it into supers.
I have several holly trees in the garden ... I don't think I've ever seen a bee on the flowers ... uusally something else in bloom at the same ..

Latest posts

Back