Hivemakers Mini Nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcavebees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I worked with 7 of Hivemaker's design mini nucs this year for queen rearing, just feeling my way, but got great results and will be doing a lot lot more next year. Thanks Pete for sharing your design. Already built another 8 and will do more over winter. Problem this year was getting enough bees to fill them after my big winter losses.

Query 1 is about the feeder. I had used cut bottom of 2l milk carton behind a Qex for both fondant and syrup (with float). I had problems with a lot of dead bees in feeder, even with fondant. With the hotter weather we had in July fondant seemed to melt a bit and have a liquid film on top.

What do other guys use for floats? What would be good / what could be harmful?
(I do not want to stress the bees more than they will be already in a small nuc).
I have a lot of pittosporum, would a handful of leaves be ok with syrup poured over? What about woodshavings? Or what do you recommend?
Is the inside of the milk carton too smooth (like those cheap T****s frame feeders a couple of years ago)? If so what can be done? I do need the container as the nucs, unlike Pete's cedar craftsman editions, are made from recycled timber, pallets, ply, whatever I can get, and wouldn't be easy to seal with pva (if that is an option)

Query 2 is about size. After using them for a season, do you guys feel that a scaled down version with 2 instead of 3 frames would work? Or not advised? Reason for thinking this way is solely number of bees needed to run them initially.

Query 3 - any other observations / comments after a season of use? Any tips, what would you do differently?

Thanks

Stephen

Query 1 is about the feeder. I had used cut bottom of 2l milk carton behind a Qex for both fondant and syrup (with float). I had problems with a lot of dead bees in feeder, even with fondant. With the hotter weather we had in July fondant seemed to melt a bit and have a liquid film on top.

What do other guys use for floats? What would be good / what could be harmful?

When using syrup I place some straw in the feeders of the mini-nucs , no problems with dead bees they use the straw to crawl out.

I've used Hydroton, floating clay balls in my poly nuc feeder. Work a treat.

Is there a link to the plans?

I have lost it too !

Big problem with wasps this year... closed entrances down to one bee size... and still had problems:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:
Obviously not enough people calling in the pest control dept. now Cornwall Council charge for the service!

:icon_204-2:NOT:icon_204-2:NOT

I have lost it too !

Big problem with wasps this year... closed entrances down to one bee size... and still had problems:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:
Obviously not enough people calling in the pest control dept. now Cornwall Council charge for the service!

:icon_204-2:NOT:icon_204-2:NOT

:iagree:

Lost a couple totally to wasps at another mating site, EVERYTHING cleared including brood, leaving chewed comb ghost town. Never seen it as bad as that

Sadly no longer there ...

Faded away into oblivion, like all pictures seem to do in threads on this forum, no matter how many times they are put back on,they just vanish without trace again and again.

Faded away into oblivion, like all pictures seem to do in threads on this forum, no matter how many times they are put back on,they just vanish without trace again and again.

I was thinking that pics I posted are somewhat inappropriate and I reduced posting pics.. So I can post some again?

As Facebook is so picture orientated could we have a closed group where people could post their pics or is that complicated to do

Back