Hive tools

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run a string through your sleeves like glove retainers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I normally find mine again in winter once all the vegetation has died back

Haha loving these solutions...

I'm tempted to have one per hive that lives on top of the crown board.

And maybe a pair of gloves per hive on the crown board also.

And a sawdust/dry grass/newspaper dust-bin in the middle of the apiary.

Buy a metal detector. Then you can find all those that other beekeepers have lost too! ;-)

I have a horrible feeling that my lawn mower is one day going to make a rather effective 'metal detector'.

Yesterday I had a quiet chuckle at this thread. Guess what happened at some stage during today's inspection...? No prizes!

Get one of these. Cheap, will also double as a wrist protector to stop bees climbing up inside your sleeves.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnetic-W...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6YB0SFBQATJGAM8CDNBN

ref=pd_lpo_vtph_60_bs_t_1

Mine is sprayed bright yellow...It is DIY'd (angle grinder + length of steel)with a wooden handle and covered with masking tape which I replace regularly to keep it from being too sticky. The sharp end is very sharp.. It is now over 7 years old - a triumph of my razor sharp memory of where I placed it and my keen eyesight..or is it the yellow paint?

Last edited:
Hive tools are clearly in the same category as: socks, clothes hangers, glasses cases and Tupperware lids that fit....

[Feel free to add]

Hive tools are clearly in the same category as: socks, clothes hangers, glasses cases and Tupperware lids that fit....

[Feel free to add]

Tape measures, pencils and elastic bands when you need them.

Personally, anything I really need should be surgically grafted to part of my body ... I'm thinking hive tool in place of two fingers and a hook for my smoker between my knees ...

you need to learn how to keep your hive tool in your hand at all times, pity they don't teach this in the basic exam.
I painted mine with hi vis paint but it soon came off with soda crystal solution

I have 10 Mora knives. But even they are somewhere when I need one.

Price a piece 2.50

I need more.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back