• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

hive maker info

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sladdergoo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone any experience of the products supplied by beehivejoiner who sells on e bay ?

If its the guy I'm thinking of, floors, broods etc ebay. I messaged him regarding the floors. No sign of allowing a Varroa tray to be inserted. He never replyed. A friend I have since found out has brought from him. All looks ok but not brilliant. some gaps and out square broods, which could be down to how they were put together. Not Cedar, white/red wood. For the right price could be ok. :willy_nilly:

My experience.

Has anyone any experience of the products supplied by beehivejoiner who sells on e bay ?

Just got 2 from him. One was OK, the other was damaged in transit - but after getting hold of Karl (You need to be persistent) replacement is on it's way apparently.

True - it took a little while for him to send, it's not the best quality. and it is NOT IMHO the work of a cabinet maker, but for £120 for a fully assembled (Not quite square, some ropey joints, poor screw finish etc) 14x12, varroa floor, 2 supers, QX, crown board, metal rails and roof - it will do for the time being.

I expect I'll take a little time to remake some of the joints myself, and tidy it up a bit. Come to think of it, I wish I'd saved 10% and assembled the lot from scratch. :willy_nilly:

Anyone know how I can tell if it's actually Cedar or not?

Its not cedar. It'll be a soft wood/pine of some sort. Which is ok but will need stain or paint. If you have cedar you'll know by the smell and lightness. Once you see it you'll never mistake it. Far better wood but expensive compared with pine. Hence the cheaper cost.

You get what you pay for .
Quality comes at a price (this needn't be exorbitant )
Buy your gear (I have personal dealings with HH on here) from personally recommended suppliers .
HH wont sell a hive flat pack !( That alone sorts out the 'out of square scenario)
Remember ,you want a hive dimensionally correct that will last ,seemingly for ever :)
VM

Two old sayings comes to mind;
buy cheap buy twice
If you have money you have an option, no money no option.
Just thought I would share this with you.

PS DIY is an option !!!

Bought my hives from Hivemaker on this forum (before I knew about the forum). They are cedar, robust, beautifully made, delivered made up except for putting a couple of screws in the stand, and nice enough to gather compliments as well as keep bees in. Asking around as you have done is a sensible move, good luck, hope you're as pleased with what you choose as I have been.

good hives bought a few bits and pieces last year from hiv-----r well put together and allways on the other end of the phone iff u have a problem

I bought a hive from beehivejoiner, BB, 2 supers, Varroa floor, QX and roof. There were slots for the Varroa tray but the actual tray was too small to slide along the slots. I haven't left feedback yet but he has received positive feedback for all but one of his sales. Its not too bad it seems to be sqaure and is made of cedar.

Its not cedar.

Errmmm - without being contrary, how would you know unless you're really my UPS delivery man, or the maker? :rolleyes:

It seems quite light, it doesn't smell like pine, and was advertised as cedar. It sertainly seems more like cedar than some pf the Th**nes I've handled.

Happy to berate where it's accurate - but wouldn't want to put people off for something incorrectly.:reddevil:

Bought brood two supers and roof off him last year as I happened to be passing and needed a spare hive fairly sharpish - very friendly and knowledgeable person - the hive was cedar (flat pack as he didn't have time to knock it together) and I have no complaints. Although he doesn't mention on fleabay the roof is all plywood construction. For the price, pretty good value.
He was fairly inundated with orders which may explain sometimes the tardiness in delivery.
As i said nice bloke but I don't think he's that much of a businessman so he can be a bit haphazard - I think his neighbour/landlord is now helping him.

Latest posts

Back