Hive Invaders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ribblesbees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 + 20 or so solitary bees' nests
Hi All, Just something to pick your brains about.

Over the last few days I've noticed some bumblebees have been entering the hive. They've been is for a wee while then come out again and then re-entered and coming out again. Today there was a very persistant b/bee who must have gone in and out several times. It's been different b/bees each time. Apart from the risk of the introduction of disease what other risk could there be i.e. damage to frames, robbing etc?

:cheers2:

Bumble bees dont have a large nest so robbing on a large scale will not become a problem.

Have a look on the floor for dead BB'S as most Bumbles do not come off well when attacked by a few bees in the hive.

whilst working my bees couple of years ago, a queen bumble bee landed on the frame tops; Wow! in an instant she was pulled down between the frames by scores of bees, couple of mins later she was carted out of the entrance in pieces.

NO PRISONERS TAKEN !!.

John Wilkinson

That's what I expected to happen or at the very least it to come out fast and get away but instead every time the b/bee has flown out, bumbled around and eventually flown off. I heard of friendly bees but that is ridiculous.:)

Latest posts

Back