Hive internal temperature monitoring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conventional mesh floors are a cause of heat loss(done the experiments and simulations). How much in which configuration/circumstances is a complex question. It comes up regularly at talks and Elaine gives me the evil eye if I look as though I'm disappearing down this vast rat hole.

There's some thing in Bee World this quarter about this topic but its not that informative

I don't see any amount of insulation in the floor keeping varroa in check.

Do you have any pictures? Would like to see.
I have made the entrance at the end that the correx slides in and sawn the landing board off.
I have used styrofoam RTM-X 50 mm to fill the main area and left a 10 mm gap to the front.The landing area is made fron 30mm with a 10mm gap IMG_20180508_112838 (600x800).jpg

IMG_20180508_112858 (600x800).jpg

IMG_20180508_113146 (600x800).jpg

I don't see any amount of insulation in the floor keeping varroa in check.

you will need to look harder then....

Changed floor design =>lower heat loss => higher humidity is easier to attain => lower varroa numbers.

Changed floor design <> Just adding insulation.
You need to consider the Temperature stratification and radiation losses as well hence under floor entrances.

you will need to look harder then....

Changed floor design =>lower heat loss => higher humidity is easier to attain => lower varroa numbers.

Changed floor design <> Just adding insulation.
You need to consider the Temperature stratification and radiation losses as well hence under floor entrances.

I remain unconvinced.

A little piece by Jurgen Tautz appears in this month's An Beachaire...

'... evidence to suggest that exchanges of air are regulated by the bees, which has a dehumidifying effect on the bee cluster. In several steps, cold 'dry' air is directed into the comb structure, warmed up and then exchanged with warm 'humid' air. As a result, the relative air humidity inside the bee cluster is reduced by up to 20% within several minutes, without causing any variations in temperature.

Back