Hive Inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broandy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30 + 25 nucs
Today is da day Am going to look through mi hives its going to be a hot day I dinks looooooool
psst.......... wonder how many times am going to get stung lol

I will begin checking my hives today as well. I think that they have done OK. Each time I tapped on the brood box in the winter I got a collective buzz in response!!

Still, there is always some surprise when you open the hive up...

Don't let the grown-ups on this forum know that you are checking them so soon in the year.
!Some of us have already had our knuckles rapped for being so impatient.:blush5:

I did my first inspection today bee thermometer said 21c and very little breeze, am well pleased brood on 7 frames (4 about 75% 3 say 40-50%) still got stores and pollen, a little drone brood but not much.
And very well behaved.
bees026.jpg

bees027.jpg

bees029.jpg

bees030.jpg

Looks like you'll soon need to add a super if this lovely weather continues. I think I'll have to air my supers as I used Sulphur strips this year.

i'd be getting ready for a super too. Must admit it is surprising to see how others hives are doing against my own that are way smaller than this at the mo.

Melon,

Unless very recent, sulphur strips will make no odds. A quick wave in the air is likely sufficient, even if done yesterday.

Sulphur burns to form sulphur dioxide and that is the fumigant. It will dissipate very quickly and is soluble in water to form sulphurous acid which easily oxidises to sulphuric acid (which is non volatile at ambient temperatures). Airing will not remove the small amount of acid and it is likely present as sulphates anyway. Now...... ethanoic fumigation will need a little airing. The now-banned PCB crystals certainly needed a couple days or more good airing to get rid of the smell as it actually dissolved in the wax.

I did not use any sulphur strips this year. The weather did the job for me.

Regards, RAB

The only chance I get to inspect is friday early evening or the weekend(guess what ?)the temperature is set to fall again come friday,bloody marvelous isn't it?

Trapperman
I would add a super now they are storing honey on top of your brood frames

You are so lucky loooooooool

I just had a quick look in the top of my hive this afternoon. I have an Eke on top of the top BC to allow room for the fondant container. The were plenty bees up there and were in the fondant. They were however building brace comb/wild comb in the eke. Does this sound like I should be putting a super on? If I do, do I top it with the eke and fondant? In Wigan it has also been very warm and they bees have been bringing in pollen all day.

I just had a quick look in the top of my hive this afternoon. I have an Eke on top of the top BC to allow room for the fondant container. The were plenty bees up there and were in the fondant. They were however building brace comb/wild comb in the eke. Does this sound like I should be putting a super on? If I do, do I top it with the eke and fondant? In Wigan it has also been very warm and they bees have been bringing in pollen all day.

No not yet. Remove the brace comb, put a crown board on and place the fondant on top if they still need it.

PS. lovely pictures !

Thanks Oliver90Owner for your reply about sulphur strips. I didn't do them every month, and especially not when it was freezing. They were a bit smelly, when I last had a look and have been enclosed by a solid wood floor and roof.
So if I need them soon, do you think they'll be OK to almost put straight onto the bees. I was going to put them outside on a stand with Open Mesh Floor on, to let them breathe, but I don't want any nasties getting in!

Thanks Mike
I went in the hive and tidied up as suggested. Here are some snaps from my phone showing what they were up to. A lesson learned there.

Cheers
John

I have had to add a super each to 2 colonies- they were bursting over the 11th frame and very active bringing in supplies. So not too early to open and check down here. :hurray:

It depends on your weather trends over the country- and some who say too early are further North, and, yes, maybe for them - but we must each make own decision- whilst respecting the bees and not causing them grief with a chilly invasion!.

Thanks Mike
I went in the hive and tidied up as suggested.
Cheers
John

John, sent you a private message.

Apologies, I think my advice was wrong after seeing your pictures.

Mike

The only chance I get to inspect is friday early evening or the weekend(guess what ?)the temperature is set to fall again come friday,bloody marvelous isn't it?

Better to super a little early than too late.

You can always open up the holes in the crown board, add a QX above it, and then apply a super....so that they can store nectar if you miss the start of a flow.

Having reveiwed things I think I am better adding a QE and super. I have my colony on a double BC at the moment and right at the bottom is a super with six frames in ( if you want to know why check this thread out. (http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7104 and it is post #10 that states how my hive went into winter)

When I do the first inspection in April I will remove the bottom super which I am hoping is empty and not smelling of Apiguard.

Thanks to all and sorry to Broandy as, over the last few posts, I seem to have hijacked your thread.

Back