Hive! How heavy ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prana vallabha

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 national hives , 1 nuc
I know it's a random question but on average how heavy is a bs national hive weigh with out roof ( red cedar , I don't have a spare one to weigh myself) ......

I was told 26kg minimum for overwintering without the roof.

I know it wasn't what you asked but hope it points you in right direction.

Last edited:
Prana

I'm happy with over 55lbs - total weight varies with how much pollen on outer frames

If this is related to over-wintering, don't forget frames, wax and bees. If just the box, perhaps crownboard and floor should be included?

I actually don't have facility to weigh, just heft. If I struggle to lift up on one side with both hands, it is ok for winter..am 5'2" female.. a man may find it easier.. you just use common sense and experience.

I actually don't have facility to weigh, just heft. If I struggle to lift up on one side with both hands, it is ok for winter..am 5'2" female.. a man may find it easier.. you just use common sense and experience.

Buy one of those luggage scales with a hook that will go under the bottom edge of the hive. You'll get a consistent reading and won't need to bend so far when lifting.

Buy one of those luggage scales with a hook that will go under the bottom edge of the hive.

I have just done that. I have weighted from the sides and then add the figure together, I suppose that's the correct way?

Now I only have to find out what to take off for the Floor, CB, Roof and the Frames and that should give me the weight of stores.... As far as I am aware you do take 3kg off for the BB and 2.5kg for a Super Box, would that include the weight of Frames?

Overall it does not look very good in stores even without taking anything off.

Luka

...suggested "Winter ready" weight of 55 /60 lbs for a National includes the weight of the floor, brood box and cover board - but doesn't include the roof which I remove before 'hefting'

good luck with 22 hives!

richard

Back