hive going into winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islayhawk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Had to replace my Queen a week ago with a mated Queen from a very reputable breeder. The colony has been taking down feed all week and bees still taking in pollen. Checked the hive today to check if Queen is working. Loads of stores but very very little brood and no eggs. Any brood would have been from last Queen. Hive looks almost stores bound. How long should it take for a new Queen to start laying. Only checked today because weather is not going to be favourable for the next week. At moment the colony is a single national brood box

I'm no expert and just started with a cast swarm this year. The Q which I think was a virgin went missing so swarm was Q- with no eggs or brood. A few weeks later I introduced a mated Q on a Friday afternoon, by Monday morning there were eggs everywhere

I'm no expert and just started with a cast swarm this year. The Q which I think was a virgin went missing so swarm was Q- with no eggs or brood. A few weeks later I introduced a mated Q on a Friday afternoon, by Monday morning there were eggs everywhere

It only takes a couple of days to start laying

Presuming you found the queen to make sure she was OK

And also made sure there were no emergency cells started on the previous queens brood, as often a new queen will not start laying if there are any emergency cells, even one will do it.

One of my queens raised this year took a month to start laying. I'd pretty much given up with the nuc so it was a nice surprise when she suddenly got the idea. I gave them fondant to prevent them becoming store bound. In the past week she's filled two frames and is going like the clappers.

Granted that's longer than usual, but I also am told it isn't uncommon.

Back