Hive condensation - ?worth trying calcium chloride desiccant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Commenting on the reference to caravan owners using calcium to absorb damp. The problem with damp in such places is that if you remove it.... it comes back.
The furnishings in the van will just reabsorb more moisture from the air. Far better not to park the van on grass/dirt/gravel in the first place and leave a window open.

Reference to doctors advising about leaving a window open. (at night especially.)
Ask a doctor what they think in relation to a lot of todays health problems and central heating.

We need air. Fresh air. Not recycled air in a closed room that you keep rebreathing. Look at how many people who work in air conditioned offices always seem to have a cold.

Bees need air. As the air outside gets colder, then they move away from it.

I'm not sure about top ventilation, but a top entrance seems to be beneficial to bees, especially when working a flow, but leaving it open all winter makes no apparent difference besides them generally preferring to use it.

Nige.Coll

best thing to do was to block the vent holes in the roof

I would think we all agree that is a really bad idea - they prevent the wooden parts of the roof from rot.

"if you want the reference i will dig it out"

Engels wrote various papers about hyperthermia as a varroa control 20 years back (1992-94).

There are a few adherents in italy (eg http://mylittlebees.tumblr.com/post/711502117/heat-treatment-against-varroa)

but it's a real faff as you need to process all the brood a hive at a time.
Must be possible to raise the temp of a whole hive to 40C for an hour using insulation, closed OMF and a heater? Stressful for the bees but so are all treatments, and some of us may have done it inadvertently when transporting (50C is the death point, right?). Has anyone seen anything on that? I did a quick google but it's all about frame heating

Must be possible to raise the temp of a whole hive to 40C for an hour using insulation, closed OMF and a heater? Stressful for the bees but so are all treatments, and some of us may have done it inadvertently when transporting (50C is the death point, right?). Has anyone seen anything on that? I did a quick google but it's all about frame heating
Humidity not temperature... Reduce the obsession with desiccation along with the varroa.

Do any of you have any experience with chloride analyzers when trying to solve condensation issues?
Insulation. No damp.
Have more insulation on top so that the top is warmer than the sides so that any condensation appears on the sides and runs away.

Latest posts

Back