hive check

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i checked my hive earlea to day be for it started to rain to give them some feed and when i opend the hive i relised they had bulit dome comb of the iner cover (there was empty space were the feeder was) sorry for being a bit of a new bee but why are they buiding comb at this time of year is this normal :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Under normal winter conditions they won't. I'm not far from you and mine are busy most days. Havent opened them but lifted the roof and found them above the crown board. I'm thinking the queen's are still laying havent really stopped laying this season just been to warm. I've kept an empty super over the crown board, A, to allow feed which is needed and B, room to expand. Are you on a brood and a half.

mine too. locked down the glass quilt with brace comb. Just hoping they don't chow down on their stores too much in the process!

my bees are just on one deep nationle brood box with supper on top epty but for a feeder i there is brood in my hive quiet alot i guess i just got to keep feeding them so they dont run out

I take it your feeding fondant!!.

I was led to believe you shouldn't use syrup this time of year due to too much water content

i wouldnt normly but my bees didnt get a good amount of honey and didnt have varey good suplies so im worry about them starving and they prefer syrup

Feeding syrup at this time is doing your bees no favours, sorry but you are stressing them.

If they need feeding please use fondant.

PH

If you need fondant you can buy it at Christmas bakery, on Fox Corner.

O i didnt relise it done the bees bad ill take the syrop out tommro weather permiting thanks for teling menot worthynot worthynot worthynot worthy:blush5::blush5:

louisboy, are you part of the guildford beekeepers association?

I really think it would benefit you to be. You will surely find someone there who could help you with your bees. We have a young lad at our association and he really enjoys it.

i might join especially as i am hoping to expand this year to more hives i think i will benefit from knowing some one with more knowledge

Agree, ether that or check into the course run locally. If you want information message me and pass on details.

they are also good if you need equipment in a hurry. members and association usually help each other out.

they should have lots of books to borrow, mine have extracting equipment i can borrow and all that sort of thing.

as an under 16 there should also be a discount to join. it really is worth it.

i checked my hive earlea to day be for it started to rain to give them some feed and when i opend the hive i relised they had bulit dome comb of the iner cover (there was empty space were the feeder was) sorry for being a bit of a new bee but why are they buiding comb at this time of year is this normal :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Under normal winter conditions they won't. I'm not far from you and mine are busy most days. Havent opened them but lifted the roof and found them above the crown board. I'm thinking the queen's are still laying havent really stopped laying this season just been to warm. I've kept an empty super over the crown board, A, to allow feed which is needed and B, room to expand. Are you on a brood and a half.

It sounds as though you both have the feed hole open. I would suggest that this is allowing too much air through- if we get a cold snap the draught might be too much for them. I have some off-cuts of plywood that I use to cover the feed holes when they're not in use, then the bees stay where they're supposed to be.

i might join especially as i am hoping to expand this year to more hives i think i will benefit from knowing some one with more knowledge

I've been a member of my own association and this forum since before I got my bees; and I wouldn't be without either.

i have been looking into joing my local association i think i willl join its allways good to have peope with knollege and Skyhook i may sound stupid but weres the feed hole ?

In your Crown Board?

Though in theory a CB has no holes... sadly many do to help this silly practice of feeding above.
GRRR

PH

Back