Hilltop Honey Bee Pollen-Safe for bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forester Doug

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

My colony looks on the brink of collapse. One thing I noticed is there seems to be very little pollen stores within the hive. If my colony is to survive I need to get the brood restarted quick.

I have as some have suggested ordered some Candipoline, but it won't arrive until the 1st April.

My question is has anyone fed this product to their bees? Someone advised me pollen can carry bee diseases, although I'm unsure how long they can remain 'active' in the granules. Any advice would be appreciated.

It is currently £2.99 at Aldi.

Probably more issues than lack of pollen, your bees should be finding plenty in your area atm....AND BIG NO to feeding random pollen from am guessing other sources than the uk. Doubt its been irradiated at that price but you dont say how much that buys you

When you say it is on the point of collapse what do you mean very few bees, or very little stores?
Either way don't do it. Unless you know that this pollen has been irradiated it is not safe for your bees. AFB spores can survive decades. Feed them fondant or possibly syrup depending on your temperatures. They won't starve then, and will have the capacity to gather pollen of which there should be plenty of sources in your area now.
Sorry - crossed with Ian's response. As he says.

Last edited:
Probably more issues than lack of pollen, your bees should be finding plenty in your area atm....AND BIG NO to feeding random pollen from am guessing other sources than the uk. Doubt its been irradiated at that price but you dont say how much that buys you

You may be right, I do wonder if my queen has lost her virulence. The pollen is UK based, from Wales. It is intended as one of these food supplements for human consumption. The weight is 125g. I think you're right, I'd hate to worsen their predicament I'm going to have to develop a taste for the stuff myself.

When you say it is on the point of collapse what do you mean very few bees, or very little stores?
Either way don't do it. Unless you know that this pollen has been irradiated it is not safe for your bees. AFB spores can survive decades. Feed them fondant or possibly syrup depending on your temperatures. They won't starve then, and will have the capacity to gather pollen of which there should be plenty of sources in your area now.
Sorry - crossed with Ian's response. As he says.

There is no capped brood to see, the queen appears to be laying still, but maybe competing with a laying worker as some cells had multiple eggs in them. It's worrying it'll be at least 3 weeks till any new bees reach maturity. Think they are doomed tbh. I'm just not sure why, as they have loads of honey stores still, I noticed little pollen hence this poorly thought out idea.

Hello all,

My colony looks on the brink of collapse. One thing I noticed is there seems to be very little pollen stores within the hive. If my colony is to survive I need to get the brood restarted quick.

I have as some have suggested ordered some Candipoline, but it won't arrive until the 1st April.

My question is has anyone fed this product to their bees? Someone advised me pollen can carry bee diseases, although I'm unsure how long they can remain 'active' in the granules. Any advice would be appreciated.

It is currently £2.99 at Aldi.

I’m a bit confused as to what you are trying to achieve, please correct me if I have this wrong.
1. You have a duff queen, or a drone layer.
2. You have been advised to feed candipolne and it’s available in Aldi?

It sounds like your queen has either been lost, superceded and not mated or run out of steam. You need to address this asap when weather allows. No amount of candipoline or feed is going to remedy.

When they can get out, bees should be able to find ample pollen now, unless you are very unlucky or live in a desert.
I don’t know the ingredients in Candipoline but do know it is completely safe to feed bees and I can’t imagine Aldi are selling candipoline!
S

I’m a bit confused as to what you are trying to achieve, please correct me if I have this wrong.
1. You have a duff queen, or a drone layer.
2. You have been advised to feed candipolne and it’s available in Aldi?

It sounds like your queen has either been lost, superceded and not mated or run out of steam. You need to address this asap when weather allows. No amount of candipoline or feed is going to remedy.

When they can get out, bees should be able to find ample pollen now, unless you are very unlucky or live in a desert.
I don’t know the ingredients in Candipoline but do know it is completely safe to feed bees and I can’t imagine Aldi are selling candipoline!
S

Yes, I suspect the queen may be duff (as I have no other explanation), but she is laying, and as of last check definitely present in the hive. The absence of any capped brood, is what I don't understand, and I wondered if a deficiency of protein may have been holding back development of new brood.

I found a product in Aldi which is Bee Pollen, intended for human consumption as a super food. I was asking if anyone had used it as my Candipoline will be a while till it arrives.

Seems the consensus is definitely not to use the bee pollen as it can harbour disease.

Perhaps she has ran out of sperm? I'm new to beekeeping but to keep it seems all the ingredients are there for a healthy and growing brood, yet no capped brood at all.

Last edited:
Yes, I suspect the queen may be duff (as I have no other explanation), but she is laying, and as of last check definitely present in the hive. The absence of any capped brood, is what I don't understand, and I wondered if a deficiency of protein may have been holding back development of new brood.

I found a product in Aldi which is Bee Pollen, intended for human consumption as a super food. I was asking if anyone had used it as my Candipoline will be a while till it arrives.

Seems the consensus is definitely not to use the bee pollen as it can harbour disease.

Perhaps she has ran out of sperm? I'm new to beekeeping but to keep it seems all the ingredients are there for a healthy and growing brood, yet no capped brood at all.

Queen present with multiple eggs in cells suggest that your workers can't look after the brood. She clearly is laying. Typical situation of spring dwindling- could be due to a number of different causes.

Good question, I saw it and wondered the same thing. I’ll see if I can contact the company and ask where it is from and if it is treated with preservatives.

Courty

Good question, I saw it and wondered the same thing. I’ll see if I can contact the company and ask where it is from and if it is treated with preservatives.

Courty

Just read the label, if it is a food stuff it should list origins. I very much doubt that Aldi are sourcing UK pollen, more likely Chinese.
S

Edit, repeated answer

Last edited:
Queen present with multiple eggs in cells suggest that your workers can't look after the brood. She clearly is laying. Typical situation of spring dwindling- could be due to a number of different causes.

Thanks for your reply. I'm guessing this is something I can do little about then?

Can’t blame the OP for trying save them, but question didn’t make a great deal of sense and hadn’t realised it had largely been addressed. I did wonder were the advice to feed candipoline came from, should have realised ....
S

Edit, repeated answer

I'm sorry, I am relatively new to beekeeping as such I'm trying to figure out if this is something I have caused, if it is something I could have avoided, and if there is anything I can do now to help them.

Can’t blame the OP for trying save them, but question didn’t make a great deal of sense and hadn’t realised it had largely been addressed. I did wonder were the advice to feed candipoline came from, should have realised ....
S

Advice from a highly respected beekeeper and breeder in the South West was to use a pollen substitute mixed with candy (fondant) to help get bees into a good brooding position in the Spring.

My own experience has led me not to trust any other beekeeper's advice as they may be under the influence of dogma that prevents an open mind.....

I use Candipol and it works for my bees..... perhaps it is the added amino acids or trace elements.....bees are not starving and bring in loads of pollen.

Seems there is a cohort of closed minded sniffy type beekeeperers around who do things their way.... and expect everyone else to do so... and just rubbish any others posts!!

Sad

Advice is (APHA)NOT to feed any hive products to bees that have not been specifically produced for that purpose.... Imported honey and Imported pollen may contain such things as AFB spores etc etc.....

:ot:

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I am relatively new to beekeeping as such I'm trying to figure out if this is something I have caused, if it is something I could have avoided, and if there is anything I can do now to help them.

I fully understand your predicament and I would suggest that the bees have been failing for some time. However, without checking and a full inspection I would suggest it is probably lack of stores or varroa. You obviously care about your bees and will no doubt have better experiences in future. Although some will advise that they never lose colonies, this is untrue as we all lose some.
S

Advice from a highly respected beekeeper and breeder in the South West was to use a pollen substitute mixed with candy (fondant) to help get bees into a good brooding position in the Spring.

My own experience has led me not to trust any other beekeeper's advice as they may be under the influence of dogma that prevents an open mind.....

I use Candipol and it works for my bees..... perhaps it is the added amino acids or trace elements.....bees are not starving and bring in loads of pollen.

Seems there is a cohort of closed minded sniffy type beekeeperers around who do things their way.... and expect everyone else to do so... and just rubbish any others posts!!

Sad

Advice is (APHA)NOT to feed any hive products to bees that have not been specifically produced for that purpose.... Imported honey and Imported pollen may contain such things as AFB spores etc etc.....

:ot:

I did order some candipol on your advice, hopefully it arrives promptly.

Thank you

I fully understand your predicament and I would suggest that the bees have been failing for some time. However, without checking and a full inspection I would suggest it is probably lack of stores or varroa. You obviously care about your bees and will no doubt have better experiences in future. Although some will advise that they never lose colonies, this is untrue as we all lose some.
S

I think this is one of those hard to diagnose problems. They have tonnes of stores, I also treated for varroa in the winter and the burden is very low. People have suggested spring dwindle.

Thanks for being understanding I just want to learn as much from this experience to become a better beekeeper!

Back