help needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Can anyone on the forum help, Ive just captured a swarm that swarmed from my hive. I have them in a box what is the next step ?
Thanks in advance

Louisnot worthy

Put them into a hive with frames and foundation.

Hi, Once the swarm is caught can I transfer them into a hive straight away or should I wait a while.

regards

Louis

do it as soon as you can or they will start to make comb in the box they are currently in

I am not the most knowledgeable but as I have seen your post I'll put down what might be relevant.
Firstly, the 3 mile / 3 ft rule is lost - when they swarm they need a new home and it won't matter if it is near to their old one.
Secondly, depending on where you collected the swarm from - whether it was still in your apiary - there will be some scout bees who were away from the swarm so you might want to think how to collect them.
Normal practise seems to be to put QE below brood box and above entrance to prevent queen leaving. however, to remove that after a couple of days in case there was a virgin queen who needs to mate (if they have come from your hive you may know more about likelihood)
If you know where the swarm came from, you can check the state of that to prevent successive swarms from multiple queen cells
If there is any EFB in your area you might like to wait about 24 to 48 hours to feed to ensure they use up all the honey stores they brought with them - though of course you may know there are no problems if they have come from you.

The OP said the swarm has been caught and is in a box they were caught from one of their own hives. It is most likely a prime swarm as you dont mention loosing any other swarms. So hive them asap, put a feed on for them.

Best check the orriginal hive for queen cells else you may get further swarms to deal with!

Well done for catching them, you now have an extra colony of bees which is a great advantage to us, do as others have said hive and feed, if it is a prime the queen should start laying as soon as there are empty cell available, if it is a cast headed by a virgin this will take a couple of weeks to get going good luck

hi

hi thanks for the quick replys tey are now in a nice new hive with feed and a queen excluder on the floor not worthynot worthynot worthy

Back