Hello from Aberdare South Wales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyphibb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My brother (nantmoel) and my self have just started bee keeping after over 20years without them, It all started when I was in the local pub one afternoon a few weeks ago just ordering a pint when my wife who was meeting me for a drink phoned me and asked me to go out side to look at something so off i went and there was a swarm of bees scattered over the side of the road and the cars were running over them so i stood in the way to stop the cars from squashing them, My wife went into the pub and asked the landlady's husband to come out for a look, I then asked if he had an empty box i could have to collect the bees in he then asked if i was mad! and off he went and returned with a box mean while i was looking for the queen and had spotted her so i took the box off him and placed it over the queen on the edge of the pavement and the bees automatically turned to the box and started fanning their wings, within 15 min they were all in the box so i wrapped it in a white sheet and took them home made some air holes in the box and began phoning round to see if i could get a hive or nuc anywhere, my brother got in touch with a guy in Cardiff and sunday afternoon of we went and picked up a hive, They are doing very well and queen is laying plenty of eggs. Happy Days.
IMG_4641.jpg bee.jpg
IMG_4642.jpg bee 2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4641.jpg bee.jpg
    IMG_4641.jpg bee.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4642.jpg bee 2.jpg
    IMG_4642.jpg bee 2.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 29
Another from Aberdare :D

There's been loads of swarms in the town this year, no idea where from but I keep missing out due to work :( Either someone needs a brush up on swarm control or there's loads of wild colonies in the area!!!!

Another from Aberdare :D

There's been loads of swarms in the town this year, no idea where from but I keep missing out due to work :( Either someone needs a brush up on swarm control or there's loads of wild colonies in the area!!!!

Bit dim as well if the only place they can find to settle after swarming is on a couple of yellow lines .. in our neck of the woods the local traffic warden would have slapped a ticket on that box !

Lol, I think I saw this swarm. It had settled on a house for a few hours and the police called me (no idea how they got my number since I'm not in an association or listed anywhere???????). I was working that day and decided to drive past on the way back to station and the cluster had dispersed into the street. Maybe the queen was too tired to fly anymore?

They seemed to be worn out it was about 5pm they had been on a house front a few doors up for a while, Had a look in on them today and the young bees are emergine out of the cells.

That's the same ones then, on seymore st. I'm glad someone got them and given them a good home :D

Love the box - "the ultimate treat". They were looking for you, welcome back!

Latest posts

Back