Heated Settling Tanks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've said it before, but I think it bears repeating here... Some people may feel as though using something like the STC-1000 is beyond their ability, but honestly, if you can wire a plug you can wire a tubular heater up to an STC-1000. It's really not complex. It just needs a little care (and a few basic tools such as screwdrivers and wire cutters).

James
There in lies the problem J
The first and last bbka meeting I ever went to had the newbs assembling frames
Some of the poor nuggets didn't know which end of the hammer to grasp.

Lidl call it a jam maker/canner
It’s like a tea urn. It takes a 30lb bucket of honey easily. You warm the honey by surrounding it with warm water. It heats up to 100C so I have a spare for cleaning the odd frame
Ah ok I’ll keep an eye out thank you

The first question you should ask, is how many colonies do you think you will have in three years.
A 100 lt tank will hold around 300 lb of honey.
We have three of the Lyson 100 lt heated tanks and could not operate without them.

The first and last bbka meeting I ever went to had the newbs assembling frames
Some of the poor nuggets didn't know which end of the hammer to grasp
shouldn't have been allowed near a hammer until they'd done the 'module'

That's quite possible and it's not uncommon to see it done for home brewing purposes. Obviously you need a functioning fridge to start with for the cooling part and then you just have to be careful not to render it non-functioning when you put holes in for the cabling for the heating system and temperature sensor.

James
Is there a recommended place to put the temp gauge hole and the heating unit wire hole(s) that is safe? Once you’ve set the desired temp, will the unit alternate between heating/cooling to maintain that temperature, or do you manually adjust? Newbee here.

Is there a recommended place to put the temp gauge hole and the heating unit wire hole(s) that is safe? Once you’ve set the desired temp, will the unit alternate between heating/cooling to maintain that temperature, or do you manually adjust? Newbee here.

In UK "larder" fridges (with the door on the front) I think most of the cooling pipework is generally in the back rather than the sides. I'd assume US appliances would be pretty similar. I'm really no expert though. I guess if you really weren't sure you could take the cables in through the door close to the side with the hinges as long as you left sufficient slack in them to allow the door to open properly.

The STC-1000 controller manages cooling and heating, so you can set the temperature required and it will switch on whichever is necessary at the time. I've not used any models. I'd guess some just do heating and not cooling.

James

Back