Heated honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andre cardona

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Any comments welcome...

I used a stainless steel table boiling plate to render down my frames which had crystallised with honey in. Is this honey safe to feed back to the bees?

Thanks

Depends how hot it got, if it has a toffee taste this could indicate high levels of toxic hmf and it would be best to ditch it, if it still runs, hasnt gone dark and just tastes like honey then it should be fine. Is it worth it though? sugar syrup would probably be better for them.

high levels of toxic hmf and it would be best to ditch it

Just to clarify, it would still be perfectly safe for human consumption, even if quality is downgraded to "baker's honey" status. Good for cooking at the very least.

Just to clarify, it would still be perfectly safe for human consumption, even if quality is downgraded to "baker's honey" status. Good for cooking at the very least.

Quite right Chris, my apologies, I should have written "toxic to bees".
Flapjacks is my favourite use for spoiled honey, with regard to mead, you cant make a silk purse from a sows ear.

with regard to mead, you cant make a silk purse from a sows ear.

Methodist and the Sally A still strong in some parts of the land.... there was a time when you has to cross the border to England for a Sunday afternoon pint !

Any comments welcome...

I used a stainless steel table boiling plate to render down my frames which had crystallised with honey in. Is this honey safe to feed back to the bees?

Thanks

I wouldn't due to the high amounts of HMF (Hydroxymethylfurfural) it may have

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back