Heading into my first winter!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes ... you just cut the cappings off .. some warm water (not a huge amount needed and not hot - just warm) - I've used a soft paintbrush in the past to agitate the cells to help the honey wash out. You don't need to get every last drop out the bees will clean the corners before the queen lays. Save the washings with the honey and feed it back to them - if they have a surplus of food and they need the comb they will use it to build out any foundation - the alternative it to make a litre of two of mead !
Thanks again...I'm learning a lot and this is just my welcome post! 😊

Sorry ... decisions decisions decisions .... get use to it, it never stops ! Neither does the spending !!
... lol, I've already started to realise that...but thats part of the attraction too!

Last edited:
Thanks again...I'm learning a lot and this is just my welcome post! 😊

My advice based on experience.
Make a REALISTIC plan.
Decide based on that what you need.
Buy what you need in winter/early Spring in the Sales. (Usually saving 10-20%+)
Make sure you do whatever work you can in advance: like assembling frames w.o foundation.
So ensuring you go into Spring and Summer with at least some backup equipment and some idea of what you are doing.

(Buying stuff in a hurry is early summer is £££s expensive.)

And being prepared means far less hassle.

My advice based on experience.
Make a REALISTIC plan.
Decide based on that what you need.
Buy what you need in winter/early Spring in the Sales. (Usually saving 10-20%+)
Make sure you do whatever work you can in advance: like assembling frames w.o foundation.
So ensuring you go into Spring and Summer with at least some backup equipment and some idea of what you are doing.

(Buying stuff in a hurry is early summer is £££s expensive.)

And being prepared means far less hassle.
Thanks, I will - I feel I have a better idea of how to do this now I have nearly been through a full year...in year 1 you just don't know, what you don't know!! 😬😁

Latest posts

Back