Have I a problem with my Mead

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could I just add something about bottling?
I was told by a commercial winemaking friend many years ago that if you bottle home made wine in a bottle with a screw top what you will drink is more or less what you have bottled. If you use a cork then the wine will change over time and will age and improve, hopefully.
I have bottled my last lot equally in plastic and in corked glass so will see :)

Agreed, Erichalfbee.

I bulk store in demijohns, which will have limited exchange of gas above the wine/mead. I generally transfer each to half a dozen screw capped bottles, when required. Works for me as I am not expert enough to know whether any vintage would benefit from laying down for ten years or so. Typically, whites are drunk relatively young - 3 months to a year or so - and reds hopefully stay in the DJs for a couple years - but get consumed if they appeal on tasting. Seems like meads need treating more like reds, mostly.

For one thing, it is easier to adjust tartrates, acidity, etc, if in a bulk container. For another, any sweetness remaining will not so likely cause a bottle bomb due to later fermentation in a screw top....

Could I just add something about bottling?
I was told by a commercial winemaking friend many years ago that if you bottle home made wine in a bottle with a screw top what you will drink is more or less what you have bottled. If you use a cork then the wine will change over time and will age and improve, hopefully.
I have bottled my last lot equally in plastic and in corked glass so will see :)

I've always used glass bottles and corks although with Aussie wines being virtually all screw tops I am tempted to recycle them and try them for wines - I've been using them until now for various cordials that I make - works well for those as once they are opened they are kept in the fridge and a screw top is easier ...

Like RAB, I generally age in the demijohn - and I use both corks and rubber bungs for demijohns and I've not noticed any appreciable difference. Then bottle in glass with a cork.

Be interesting to hear how your experiment goes ....

Latest posts

Back