Has there been less swarms this year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colchester BKA

Very few swarm calls this year. Last year was way down as well. 30/40% colony loss this winter, so maybe that was the reason.

Very few swarm calls this year. Last year was way down as well. 30/40% colony loss this winter, so maybe that was the reason.

I put it down to the good weather allowing the bees to forage every day, keeping congestion to a minimum. Doesn't fully explain why the drive to reproduce has been suppressed though.

My first year of bee keeping and caught 2 swarms in my bait hive at home, none of mine..... Have nothing to gauge it against.

There is a house in the village where I live just put up a sign with honey for sale so that may be where my swarms came from. Both are very calm and easy to work, one filled a hive and 2 supers the later one is now in full hive as out grown super.

Didn't know anybody in the village kept bees, will go and knock on his door and introduce myself.

My first year of bee keeping and caught 2 swarms in my bait hive at home, none of mine..... Have nothing to gauge it against.

There is a house in the village where I live just put up a sign with honey for sale so that may be where my swarms came from. Both are very calm and easy to work, one filled a hive and 2 supers the later one is now in full hive as out grown super.

Didn't know anybody in the village kept bees, will go and knock on his door and introduce myself.

just dont tell them about your bait hive:laughing-smiley-004

Latest posts

Back