Hard fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwyns

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Quite a few, wife says too many!!
I have made some fondant following Rosti's recipe but it has gone rock hard straight away, can anyone tell me what I have done wrong and can it be put right? Also one other query, if the fondant on top of the crown board has gone hard, can the bees still use it. Many thanks.

Usually means the temperature you went to was too high, easily done. Bees can still use it but not so easily as it will require more water. Better than no fondant, taken more slowly not always a bad thing as we approach spring ?

Yep! Leave it on there, they will lick it rather than chew it!

Have a look and see if it’s got the word BLACKPOOL through the middle :icon_204-2:

I have made some fondant following Rosti's recipe but it has gone rock hard straight away, can anyone tell me what I have done wrong and can it be put right?

It could also be that you were too stingy with the Glucose.

You could smash it up a bit, redissolve it and try again (with more Glucose and to a lower final temperature) - but excessive boiling could cause it to start going brown - not good for the bees.

I'd break it up as much as possible, and then "mist" it before giving it to the bees.
They'll only be able to take it slowly - especially as this is not the weather for them to go out looking for water.
"Slowly" may not be fast enough for the bees if they really need feeding.
And above an open crown board may not be the best place for the bees to access it in this cold weather. The open crown board hole in itself would be a handicap to the bees.

By all means give it to them if you have nothing better.
But if they really need fondant NOW, you ought to be trying to give them something better.
Buying a 12.5kg block from the baker is much cheaper than replacing a starved colony.

Have a look and see if it’s got the word BLACKPOOL through the middle :icon_204-2:

Maybe it smells of peppermint and comes from Kendal.

Did the same myself.

Solution
20gms of glucose per KG of fondant.
50mls of water per 1kg fondant.

Heat the water till it boils gently.
Add glucose and stir until dissolved.

Then slowly add chunks of fondant stirring until each chunk is dissolved until adding next..

You do NOT want to boil it hard - all you want to do is dissolve the hard fondant.
When all dissolved, pan in cold water and stir.

(I modify the recipe to add more glucose and 225 -250mls or water rather than 300 so boiling is not needed for any length of time. You may not get as smooth fondant as with prolonged boiling but it means you need hardly boil at all. If it's too runny and will not set, reheat gently to boil off water. Too hard, add more water).

I know what you mean luminos i love a bit of that cake to.

Back