Half failed unite advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonotron

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I united a queenless hive with a queen+ nuc last Wednesday. Seems it didn't go according to plan. Found lots of emergency queen cells today as well as two queen cells with eggs laid in them.
I guess they made emergency cells before they got used to having a new queen. They had two supers, one partially filled and one empty and drawn out. They didn't really seem to move up past the queen excluder. As a result they have filled the brood box with nectar leaving little room for brood and a congested brood box, which is why the queen laid some eggs in queen cells I figure.
So I've uncapped all their stores and put the queen excluder above the empty brood box (which is ten frames on a castellated spacer).
Have I done the right thing given the situation? Will the ten frame spacing be an issue if it's used for brood? Am I being unrealistic thinking they will move stores further up now and forget about swarming?
Came into this season with one hive and up to four now with swarm control measures.

How did you know it was queen less? Exactly how did you unite? What was configuration of boxes? Where was the QE? What is configuration now. If we know exactly what you did then you might get some advice. It is not clear from your post what is going on

Will the ten frame spacing be an issue if it's used for brood?.

it could well be, I used a super in the same way, and they built extra combs between each frame, hand to go in and remove and place it into empty frames with elastic bands, then swap the box for a normal one, better to do it sooner rather than later

Sorry if my post wasn't clear. Tree branch fell and knocked hive over. I noticed it soon enough after it happened and put hive back together. Checked a few days later and found emergency cells. Reduced these and put two of them in a nuc so main colony was left queenless and without queen cells. I was going to get a new queen but decided to unite with a nuc I had instead. I used paper method horizontally when I put the frames in from the nuc.
They united but made emergency cells instead of recognising there was a new queen. Queen excluder was above the brood box, then empty drawn super above BB and then another partially filled super above that. Then they didn't move up into the supers really. Some of them did but most stayed below.
Configuration now is BB, 10 frame super on that (filling with nectar as of quick check yesterday evening), qe above that and then the half filled super on top of the qe.

I looked and thought 'keep out until I don't need to guess.

10 frames in a Langstroth is perfectly OK, even if on castellations, for a start.

Still too 'woolly' after post #5. 'Few days' is decidely useless. 'They' being which? I would hazard a guess and say they made more emergency queen cells and nothing to do with the unite, apart from not being hopelessly Q-. Not even sure what is a super and what is a shallow, possibly with brood in it. Just a mess. Might even have been an injured queen there, for all we know.

Sorry, I was in a rush and mistakenly said a few when I meant a week later. When I say they united I meant the queenless hive and the frames from the nuc with a queen that I added to the hive. It's a national hive and not a langstroth.
I'm just wondering what I should do now. Am I left having to split them again maybe?

Last edited:
Seems you do have a queen as eggs have been laid, but I would check. Then I would knock down al QC's and check for more in 3-4 days.
They will go up into supers when ready.
10 frame spacing not a worry at all.

Yeah, I'm sure I have the queen from seeings eggs present. Also two eggs in two queen cells rather than emergency cells with the others. I guess my problem is that they didn't use the supers, they used the BB to fill with nectar and left no space for the queen to lay.
I could knock down any queen cells I find but that isn't good practice is it?
Perhaps I need to demaree them?

Latest posts

Back