Haemocytometer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Trying to get hold of a haemocytometer for a reasonable price! There are some available on ebay for under £20 however these are dispatched from USA/China.

Anyone know any UK/EU suppliers selling for less than £40-50?

Had come across that one too. Appears to be the going UK rate or more...

Any general lab supplier eg Fisher, VWR, Jencons. You may need to phone them to see if they will supply to the public

Trying to get hold of a haemocytometer for a reasonable price! There are some available on ebay for under £20 however these are dispatched from USA/China.

Anyone know any UK/EU suppliers selling for less than £40-50?
I bought one to determine infection levels of nosema.

Have now decided after more reading that it is not accurate for that purpose as on heavily infected bee can skew the result.

read the articles on nosema in www.scientificbeekeeping.com for more.

No I don't want to get rid of it, I demonstrate microscopy at Gromanston.

buy a chinese one.

most of us get our refractometers that way and they are perfectly good.

Probably the choice I was going to take. No rush for it and half the price.

However, having read the link above, the field of view method can be applied. Will try both.

yep - we use field of view method routinely at work for counting mitoses in order to grade tumours.
just need to calculate FOV and away you go - although that doesn't help if needing to calculate numbers per X volume (which is what a haemocytometer allows).

i use disposalable c-chip Haemocytometer at about £2 each, gives two test, but minumum order 10 so £20 ish from labtech uk

but the chinese ones on USA ebay at US$ 16 look ok

Back