Guilt...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donaldb7340

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Killed one if my best queens, great tempered bees, good crop... She was failing and being superseded so wanted to unite superseding colony and raise a nuc.

Anyone else suffer terrible guilt?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why you would want to kill a queen that is being superceded. Unless she is going drone layer. Bees would have done it eventually. Better to have continued her genes as much as possible if she was your best queen. But no real info, so it was your decision - after due consideration, one hopes.

A bit like keeping chickens for egg production and them never ever going to lay. Bit like keeping all bull calves if you are a dairy farmer. Simple economics.

If you feel so guilty, perhaps keeping animals is not for you.

Hi donaldb,
Yes, I know what you mean. Slightly different here. Good beekeeping practice states that I should have killed one queen in uniting two casts. One was easy to find as there were not many bees in there. I had seen her and she was nice and big, but the chances of finding the other one in a swarm box I did not relish. Two unknowns, neither of which had had a life. I let the bees decide. No fighting at all and laying within the week! Saying this I had no problems dispatching my spent chickens and eating them!

Guilt is what I apply to picture frames...

Latest posts

Back