Grape any good for bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

There is a vineyard up the road from me.

Is this good forage for bees??

Almost zero I'm afraid, one of those last resort in desperation flowers for a honey bee.

Chris

Can't say I've ever seen bees on mine, either :(

LOL funny to think that vines are even possible to grow in the UK. Just shows the variation in weather between different regions. More chance of us growing rice in N.Ireland!

Yep, Ridgeview Vineyard about 1 mile from me- award winning beat all the French Sparkling..:hurray:

I'm pretty sure Denbie's at Dorking have hives on site. As for some pollination crops it may be a percentage advantage for the grapes and not much benefit for the bees but some vineyards think it's worth hosting.

Hi,

There is a vineyard up the road from me.

Is this good forage for bees??

A couple not far from us too. I had assumed they were no use for nectar because grapes are wind-pollinated, but could be a source of pollen - same as catkins.

Grapes usually self pollinate, needing neither wind or insect as both male and female parts are closely contained in the flower. In some varieties they can self polinate before the flower opens fully.

The wine I make from my grapes has been given the fitting name-
Chateaux Quatre Oui:eek:

Shame but thanks everybody for the informtion and help.

Last edited:
Back