Going that extra mile

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abm

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm new to keeping bees, obtained a small cast late last year, nursed and fed them in a nuk over winter, they are now on full flow in a brood box and half with a Qexluder ontop then a single super.... and the first finger of honey is gorgeous.
Having collected 3 further swarms so far this year, these are now on single brood boxes.

I'm thinking if the winter ahead turns harsh - to nuk them and bring inside my garage, mount them to the inside wall with an entry hole from the outside.

an old youtubeeee vid inspired me as the old guy had his inside all year round, mind he was in Switzerland.

Well done I too started with a swarm last year, its been a full on year with swarms as I am on the swarm list and now have ten hives. I am loving all the fun of getting the swarm and rehoming it, I've had a few miss haps mind. Hoping for lots of honey. Good luck.

I'm new to keeping bees, obtained a small cast late last year, nursed and fed them in a nuk over winter, they are now on full flow in a brood box and half with a Qexluder ontop then a single super.... and the first finger of honey is gorgeous.
Having collected 3 further swarms so far this year, these are now on single brood boxes.

I'm thinking if the winter ahead turns harsh - to nuk them and bring inside my garage, mount them to the inside wall with an entry hole from the outside.

an old youtubeeee vid inspired me as the old guy had his inside all year round, mind he was in Switzerland.

:welcome:

My bees have survived -16C in 2 winters outside.

Are you expecting worse than that?:)

If re-locating them into the garage is more than 3 ft away then you need to do it a couple of feet at a time and again next spring if you put them out again.
There really isnt any need though, they will be fine outside. The cold will give them a brood break and enable you to knock the varroa back.

In the UK? OK. Scotland perhaps. Not many use a beehouse of any description.

Just not really needed in our climate. Could get a cold one, mind. Apparently '63 was not a good winter for beekeepers. But things have moved on. Polyhives are one def major improvement. Fewer beeks stick matchsticks under the crownboard, thankfully. Insulation, particularly above, has improved.

Only lost two or thee full colonies to winter weather (or more likely to something else) in the last seven or eight years.

The secret is not a secret at all. Strong healthy colonies going into winter with more than adequate stores in suitable housing and left without interference for the duration.

You will likely create more trouble by moving them (if they are normally located close to the garage), reducing their size to fit a smaller home, and temperature problems if your garage happens to get too warm.

Carage is not a good place to bees to overwinter.
If you are afraid of cold, bye a polyhive, and problems are over.

Our hives go well outside over long winter. Temp may drop to -30C. Bees cannot come at all out during 4 months. And that means much in wintering.
You have there warm winters. Wind shelter is good.

Strong healthy colonies....serious problems like varroa and nosema, but not even carage can save from them.

just wrap them in bubble wrap,
NOT without first making sure the vents are clear!
:eek::eek:
it's not normally the cold that kills them but dampness

Yes :iagree: It's the damp that'll do for em!

Are you proposing that the" polythene bubbles" somehow reduce damp???

Insulation and ventilation surely, just like our building regs??

In my opinion, just make sure the hives are not standing directly on the ground. Soil.

NOT without first making sure the vents are clear!
:eek::eek:

Yes :iagree: It's the damp that'll do for em!

Are you proposing that the" polythene bubbles" somehow reduce damp???

Insulation and ventilation surely, just like our building regs??

not in the slightest, it was said tongue in cheek, as the poster was worried about his bees getting cold

Ive never had bees die in box type hives
but leaky top bar hives that then hold the dampness= yes

It never rains in lincolnshire.

Is that 'ever gap'?....mind the gap, London proverb

I can tell that our winter was very warm. The dead percent in winter was 5%. Normal is 15%. It seems that cold kills hives.

Last edited:
Thanks guys............. just thinking out loud.

Latest posts

Back