God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given up with my ponds No longer have Fish as the otters just kept on eating them.Strange how a few years ago they were endangered now in this area they have become a bit of a pest.
I know some people have tried low electric fencing around ponds.

Bit the bullet today and planted out my broad beans which I've put off again and again thanks to the weather until they have roots exploring out of the bottoms of the pots. Hopefully they'll be ok. I gave them a fair watering in, but they should get properly sorted tomorrow morning as we have about eight hours of heavy rain forecast.

James

Bit the bullet today and planted out my broad beans which I've put off again and again thanks to the weather until they have roots exploring out of the bottoms of the pots. Hopefully they'll be ok. I gave them a fair watering in, but they should get properly sorted tomorrow morning as we have about eight hours of heavy rain forecast.

James
Our first lot of broad beans have been out for a while and seem fine. Second sowing still in pots

I finished potting up a load of our older strawberry plants today, removing them from the tubs they've been in for the last couple of years to see if they'll produce some early fruit if I leave them in the greenhouse.

Perhaps I needn't have bothered. This is a mid-season variety (Cambridge Favourite) that has been outside all Winter.

veg-plot-2024-039-rotated.jpg

The photo is a little over-exposed, but that's a cluster of fruit in the middle. Not much chance of them ripening in this weather though, I reckon.

James

Our first lot of broad beans have been out for a while and seem fine. Second sowing still in pots

James
I incubated my broad beans on the windowsill at home until the tips of the roots emerged and planted them out on the allotment the day before yesterday.
When using a dibber, as usual, it often entered a 'void' = rodent sub-surface tunnels. Over 15 years on the site I have found short-tailed voles to be commoner than mice.
Thus forewarned I placed three traps and three cubes of warfarin-type cubes, protected from bird-bycatch by a net.
Yesterday = three mice caught and the cubes nibbled (pic).
Today = two mice caught (pic).
Whether they've eaten the beans I don't know. I'm growing further beans in the greenhouse to be planted out when established plants.
I don't enjoy gratuitously killing things, but what else can I do?

Attachments

• IMG_1776.jpeg
    IMG_1776.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1777.jpeg
    IMG_1777.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 1
I incubated my broad beans on the windowsill at home until the tips of the roots emerged and planted them out on the allotment the day before yesterday.
When using a dibber, as usual, it often entered a 'void' = rodent sub-surface tunnels. Over 15 years on the site I have found short-tailed voles to be commoner than mice.
Thus forewarned I placed three traps and three cubes of warfarin-type cubes, protected from bird-bycatch by a net.
Whether they've eaten the beans I don't know. I'm growing further beans in the greenhouse to be planted out when established plants.
If you can get dry Holly leaves they work well for keeping them away

If you can get dry Holly leaves they work well for keeping them away

My experience with holly leaves was that they blew away fairly quickly. So I tried ones still attached to the twigs, but once they dry out they fall off and we're back to the same problem. Of course it might just be that we're pretty exposed here. Perhaps putting fleece or mesh over the leaves might have helped. Of course you can't win, because fleece and mesh just give the slugs and snails somewhere safe to hide from predators...

James

UK spelling Vs American.
"Sarco"=muscle
"Aenia" (American "enia")=lack of
So: anaemia, leukopaenia, thrombocytopaenia, etc.
Of course the Brits are correct!
Eg "orthopaedics" was originally named from "straightening children": paed=child, ortho=straight. The American spelling "pediatrics" dodgy: ped=foot, so would mean straightening feet!
You haven't actually accepted any.
Orthopedics has roots.
Orthos with upright or straight meaning
Paideia meaning education or training.
On the other hand
Pediatrics has as roots
Paidos with meaning of child
Iatreia with the meaning of healing.
The etymological origin of feet in Greek would be the root "podo", as an example the edible octopod that we Galicians like (the octopus).

very thorny twigs eg rose cuttings stuffed into holes and strewn over plants stops them being eaten

James
On my heavy clay/compost soil (mild wet climate), Spring pot sown broad bean transplants under-performed compared with Spring direct sown broad beans. Autumn sowing is disastrous.

On my heavy clay/compost soil (mild wet climate), Spring pot sown broad bean transplants under-performed compared with Spring direct sown broad beans. Autumn sowing is disastrous.

I tried Autumn sowing a couple of years ago, both broad beans and field beans. Almost nothing survived the winter. I suspect it's most effective somewhere relatively sheltered and frost-free.

James

Small patch of lettuce.. and too much for us.. will have some for sharing. In greenhouse we have for pretty long ( about month) green onions which we also like much.. For about week or little more we have small red radishes we also like a lot in greenhouse.. We don't treat these with anything.. no need.. few if gone due to diseases.. a lot more remain to eat.. We don't heat greenhouse..

Attachments

• IMG_20240320_084633_compress20.jpg
    IMG_20240320_084633_compress20.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240320_084646_compress79.jpg
    IMG_20240320_084646_compress79.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Have had poly tunnel envy for a while. I'm never going to get one, or have the time or skill for a whole tunnel.
But I've just inherited one of the small walk in plastic tube greenhouses (walk in is a bit of an exaggeration 😂). Plan is to put it up at work, tucked away, and look after-able while I'm there.

Would like some ideas for easy starter things, I definately want some tomatoes for pizza base use, having just bought a wood fired oven too.
Fancy some chillis, and courgettes too.
Just some ideas on varieties, that will cope with my lack of knowledge. ( Shropshire based) And best things to grow them in etc. pots, bags? Substrate?

Thanks in advance. Clueless but enthusiastic 😁

Mark.
If I had just a small area under poly I would grow to eat fresh to enjoy the wonderful taste. Why mask it in cooked recipes? Use the supermarket for volume?

If I had just a small area under poly I would grow to eat fresh to enjoy the wonderful taste. Why mask it in cooked recipes? Use the supermarket for volume?
There are other options:

I have an A Frame with troughs on both sides - in the early months I cover it with clear polythene held in place with clips. I have rocket, lettuce, land cress, lollo rosso, mixed salad leaves all germinating, the troughs on the end have three flavours of mint and the space inside the A Frame has a shelf with seed trays with radishes and cress growing. All in a space 1.2 m x 1.0m

This was it last year ..

Attachments

• A-frame.jpg
    A-frame.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back