Giving bees odd shaped drawn comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
I have few frames of odd shaped drawn comb. It was from a swarmed colony last season and most the drawn comb was drone comb but oddly shaped. I wasn't to sure to give to my bees this year. My question is, if given to the bees, do they reconstruct the comb with the same wax or do they remove it then start again. If so, I'm thinking it's best to give bees new foundation rather than let the bees waste energy removing the oddly shaped comb then make more perfect comb. Would I be right?

if it's a mess, with loads of drone cells, I'd ditch it.

Was thinking this. So best to melt down and from now on, give new foundation. Was kinda hoping I was wrong and they'd be able to reconstruct it quicker than giving new foundation. A well, as the aul saying goes, ya learn something new every day. Cheers Skipper ;)

I have few frames of odd shaped drawn comb. It was from a swarmed colony last season and most the drawn comb was drone comb but oddly shaped. I wasn't to sure to give to my bees this year. My question is, if given to the bees, do they reconstruct the comb with the same wax or do they remove it then start again. If so, I'm thinking it's best to give bees new foundation rather than let the bees waste energy removing the oddly shaped comb then make more perfect comb. Would I be right?

If it's not too bad you can take a knife to it to remove the lumps and bumps - you can even push it into a better shape in the frame .. the bees will remodel it - but sometimes they just get even more creative ! Bit of pot luck I'm afraid.

My question is, if given to the bees, do they reconstruct the comb with the same wax or do they remove it then start again

If there is a lot of drone cells then I would remove the comb unless you want them to breed drones as they don't remodel it back to worker cells.
You may get away with odd shaped comb if you reshape it (they usuall come in pairs) and give it to a different colony. You need to reshape to try and keep a uniform bee space.

Those frames make hive nursing difficult. When you lift the frame, drone cells brake adjacent frame cells and bees will be squeezed between frames.

Make candles

Latest posts

Back