Getting Honey Into Jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angry_Mob

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
Filled just under 300 jars, not looking forward to doing it again at the start of September as that took quite a while. Any easier method than a bucket and honey tap?

Filled just under 300 jars, not looking forward to doing it again at the start of September as that took quite a while. Any easier method than a bucket and honey tap?

I was fed up at 60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Use a jug instead of the honey tap. You need to wash any drips off the jars, but it's far faster than those pesky honey gates.

You must have a monster jug and absolutely **** technique with a honey gate, try keeping positive pressure between the gate and the o ring.

Bigger tank, do 100kg at a time here. The metal tap is better than plastic ones

You must have a monster jug and absolutely **** technique with a honey gate, try keeping positive pressure between the gate and the o ring.

That made me laugh
I moaned and moaned about plastic honey gates last year then moaned even further when trying and abandoning various metal valves.
mbc came on here and told me how to use a plastic valve properly and after ten years of "**** technique" I finally got it right. Positive pressure :)
I did a few jars with a jug the other day and I got so much air in the jars I had to put them in the warmer.

That made me laugh
I moaned and moaned about plastic honey gates last year then moaned even further when trying and abandoning various metal valves.
mbc came on here and told me how to use a plastic valve properly and after ten years of "**** technique" I finally got it right. Positive pressure :)
I did a few jars with a jug the other day and I got so much air in the jars I had to put them in the warmer.

Can we get a video please? :)

Nope, just a 1 litre jug. No air bubbles and I can fill approx 100 jars in 15 minutes. How on earth do you get air bubbles in yours? The only ones with bubbles are my Heather honey.
Seeing as I bottle over a ton of honey each year I do t think I need to bother about your comments on my technique.

I have never had a problem with a honey gate. Just don't loosen the fixing clip too much. Never open it fully and when you open the gate keep it pressed to the body of the valve. So easy and clean!
E

And slow. Angrymob was asking if there were other faster ways than bucket and gate.
There are.

Nope, just a 1 litre jug. No air bubbles and I can fill approx 100 jars in 15 minutes. How on earth do you get air bubbles in yours? The only ones with bubbles are my Heather honey.
Seeing as I bottle over a ton of honey each year I do t think I need to bother about your comments on my technique.

As you wish, "you can lead a horse to water...."

As you wish, "you can lead a horse to water...."

My point exactly.
I used to use a honey gate valve until a bee farmer showed me how much faster it was with a jug.
Never looked back.

Last edited:
I've used both methods and I don't think there is a lot to choose .. using two jugs (one filling from the honey gate set at about half open and one being used to fill the jars) worked quite well and stopped those annoying drips you get when closing the gate. The plastic gates are not as good as the metal ones - you can exert the 'positive pressure' on the metal ones better than the plastic ones but I got a really awful metal one that dripped more than any other one's I've had.

It's as much about developing a technique that works for you and doesn't end up with honey on the floor as about the equipment you use to do the job.

I've also found that some jugs have a better spout than others .. My favourite is a 1.5 litre plastic one that has a mixing bowl shape - it came originally from Asda but they don't sell them anymore. For some design reason it's almost impossible to get a drip from the spout and it's the perfect shape for clearing down the last dregs with a spatula.

If you are filling your jug from the honey gate you are using the wrong technique.
But suggest you use whatever you want. Original question was whether there was a different/faster method than the gate.
If you can't fill about 100 jars in about 15 minutes you are using a slow technique.

As mbc says you can lead a horse to water.

If you are filling your jug from the honey gate you are using the wrong technique.
But suggest you use whatever you want. Original question was whether there was a different/faster method than the gate.
If you can't fill about 100 jars in about 15 minutes you are using a slow technique.

As mbc says you can lead a horse to water.

So ..how do you fill a jug (dip it into the honey ?)

Leaving the jug under the gate with it running means you are not opening and shutting the gate continually .. it's easier to swap a jug under the gate than a 12 oz jar - you hardly need to shut the gate and in the time one jug is filling from the gate I can fill and weigh four jars .. adds no more time to the process and no mess whatsoever.

The OP had a problem with filling from a honey tap .. you have only half answered the original question.

Some horses are not worth watering ...

Back