Genetics papers and books begginers to highly advanced.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I have been asked by a highly educated person for the above as their hobby is genetics and they are fascinated about bees and want to dive deeply into the subject.

Suggestions please?

Maybe an email to the main Buckfasts breeder groups. They may have some info on the practical application.

How about "The Phylogenetics of Bees" - edited by Rustem Abuzarovich Ilyasov and Hyung Wook Kwon

I've not actually read it myself, it's on the pile of books enthusiastically found, but then never quite got around to!

(The contents seem to fit the bill though - "The origin of the European Bees and their Intraspecific Biodiversity" being just one of a series of delights awaiting the reader)

I have been asked by a highly educated person for the above as their hobby is genetics and they are fascinated about bees and want to dive deeply into the subject.

Suggestions please?
Eigil Holm Bee breeding & Genetics from Northern Bee Books £18.50

https://www.northernbeebooks.co.uk/products/holm-queen-breeding-and-genetics/
BBKA special edition series: Genetics for Beekeepers Available from the BBKA online shop. £7. Excellent

https://www.bbka.org.uk/shop/bbka-news-genetics-new
Have bought and read others but these are the best in my opinion
Elaine

P.S. useful to have some biology background knowledge with both these books & why I recommend them. As your friend is interested already in genetics, they will stretch his / her abilities & understanding, as not pitched at the beginner

Last edited:
Highly educated in what field?

Flying blind, my personal recomendation is the Welcome Trust prize winning Energy of Life by Guy Brown. This readable book really gets under the bonnet of evolution, an understanding of which I would say is the first step to breeding. There are perils, imo, very evident in beekeeping, about focusing on detail without having overviews of the machinery the detail serves. The Energy of Life is not species-specific, and assumes knowledge of evolutionary mechanisms, and I'd also look for a book about natural population dynamics if your chap has little or no biology background.

Back