Frame Making for Basic Assessment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did my Basic last summer - away from home at an apiary I help with...we got to the make a frame bit and realised none of us had the bits - so we scoured a shed and found enough 'broken' bits and wonky/dried/damaged wax to make a frame of sorts (this took almost 1/2 hour). The examiner said it I could cope with that I could certainly make a frame under normal circs.,

From my experience last year there isn't a time limit,

Use a rampin they are ace :)
Vm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's all personal reference isn't it. I really can't get on with a rampin. The nails seem to go all over the place... Anybody want a hardly used draper rampin?......

As long as you put the nails in the right place (eleven in total, one through each side of the side bars etc) I don't think you should have a problem

I'm sure you're correct, but I have proof (Well a certificate at least) that if you argue the point on supers only using 9 nails (One on each end of top bar to avoid splitting the wood) - you can still pass the basic.:icon_204-2:

It's all personal reference isn't it. I really can't get on with a rampin. The nails seem to go all over the place... Anybody want a hardly used draper rampin?......
:iagree:
Got one languishing in the shed - more faff than it's worth IMHO, sure I'll find a mug to take it off my hands one day :D
if you argue the point on supers only using 9 nails (One on each end of top bar to avoid splitting the wood) - you can still pass the basic.:icon_204-2:

See your point and well argued - but with the weight of some of my shallows last year I'm glad I had two in each end. Never yet had a side bar split due to two pins being tapped into it though (I always angle mibe slightly though - on one side outwards away from the foundation and the other inwards.

I use a jig to keep frames square and a dab of glue on the topbar/side bar joints. Usually the foundation needs a bit trimming off the sides. Keep the foundation straight as the bees won't straighten it out when they draw it.

I use a jig to keep frames square and a dab of glue on the topbar/side bar joints. Usually the foundation needs a bit trimming off the sides. Keep the foundation straight as the bees won't straighten it out when they draw it.

Most of the foundation I have used has been an easy fit into the side slots, however I bought one lot of "cheap" frames and foundation from an ebay supplier which required 2mm slicing off the side of the foundation sheets to allow the foundation to hang flat in the frames. Can't recall which supplier it was but correcting each sheet only took a few seconds.
I did start off putting a dab of glue on the top joints of the first frames I built but very quickly realised that the force required to shear off a steel gimp pin made adding glue pointless.

Latest posts

Back