Frame Holder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Does any one have any designs or advice for building a diy frame holder? One that I could hang off the side of my hive? I could simply buy one for a tenner, but tI’d prefer not to spend the money if I could simply make one.

Two pieces of aluminium 1 inch wide and six inches long bent like a square s

go into home bargains and they sell metal hooks two to a pack for hanging to your kitchen cupboards for hanging tea towels on ,they work fine and are only 99p

I don't suppose you have a 3d printer? there are designs on thingiverse for frame holders.

I have two hands, when I want my hands free I put the frame back in the box, if I need extra room in the box I shake the bees off the frame and lean it against the hive

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I'm looking into "utility brackets" and other items that I can attach to a board. Can't find a working tea towel holder; at least not as described, so if you have a link I'd love to see one!

I have two hands, when I want my hands free I put the frame back in the box, if I need extra room in the box I shake the bees off the frame and lean it against the hive

Is that trolling? Or meant to be helpful? I honestly can't tell.

Not wanting to sound like an ass, but I did ask for help making a frame. If that comment was meant to be helpful: Thanks! But that's what I'm doing now. I only have limited space. I'd really like to have the frame in a safe place and not underfoot. I'd not want to knock it or kick it. A holder would be handy.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

I'm looking into "utility brackets" and other items that I can attach to a board. Can't find a working tea towel holder; at least not as described, so if you have a link I'd love to see one!

Not wanting to sound like an ass, but I did ask for help making a frame. If that comment was meant to be helpful: Thanks! But that's what I'm doing now. I only have limited space. I'd really like to have the frame in a safe place and not underfoot. I'd not want to knock it or kick it. A holder would be handy.

I think its kind sarcastic humour Adam ( jbm)..

Yeah - I'm finding it hard to navigate between the supportive sarcastic humor and the actual trolling all mixed in this soup of died-in-the-wool opinion.

When I see (and I'm making this up and all names have been changed to protect the innocent)...

Where's the cheapest place to buy a marking pen?

followed by:

There is no greater cruelty in all of Beekdom than to mark a queen!!!! (>_<)!!!

... it's hard to know fish from foul (deliberate) as it were.

If you use/make hive stands, arrange things so that the hive support beams can accept a frame placed between them..

I bought a frame holder when I was new and impressionable. I have never used it. I lean frames against the hive or hive stand or place them (carefully) flat on top of removed super or roof.

My OH bought me a frame holder and it's great when I remember to use it. I've knocked frames over when simply placed at the base of the frame.

One downside is it only fits on wooden hives, the sides on the poly hives we have are too wide.

I have a strip of aluminium from an old curtain track I'll bend into some hooks to fit the poly sides.

So, I build my frame holder yesterday. Pretty much a bodged up fudge job using whatever I could find around the place and a set of hooks from the hardware store.

FrameHangar01.JPG

FrameHangar02.JPG

FrameHangar03.JPG

FrameHangar04.JPG

FrameHangar05.JPG

(Frame Holder being tested on empty un-used box being stored on top of the hive, above the crownboard.)

Thanks! Now I just need to try it out for real and see if it really works...

My OH bought me a frame holder and it's great when I remember to use it. I've knocked frames over when simply placed at the base of the frame.

One downside is it only fits on wooden hives, the sides on the poly hives we have are too wide.

I have a strip of aluminium from an old curtain track I'll bend into some hooks to fit the poly sides.

Look here for stainless steel frame rests for poly hives (fit my Maisemore’s perfectly):

https://www.simonthebeekeeper.co.uk...-x-poly-hive-stainless-steel-frame-rests.html

Thanks! Now I just need to try it out for real and see if it really works...

You should really listen to JBM .. he's right. Every beginner thinks a frame holder is useful but, in reality, they are a recipe for a disaster. Most people have one and never use it. If you hang a frame with bees on it outside the hive and you've inadvertently missed that there's the queen on there .. drop her in the grass and you are in trouble !

Have a dummy board in the hive, take it out to make space, then look at one frame at a time - putting each frame back in the hive when you've inspected it. At the end of the inspection push them all along in one go - not one at a time - less bees crushed that way. Replace dummy frame at end of hive.

If for some reason you do want to keep a frame outside the hive for any reason, shake the bees off it and either lay it flat over the top of the hive. rest it an an angle in the upturned roof or if you really must - prop it against the hive stand.

If you want to take photos .. design a frame hanger that allows frames to sit above the hive so that any bees (or the queen) drop down into the hive not on the floor.

JBM's not a troll .. lots of good sense if you have the sense to read it.

They are a waste of money.

Lean the frame against the hive or stand.

Never owned one.

PH

You should really listen to JBM .. he's right. Every beginner thinks a frame holder is useful but, in reality, they are a recipe for a disaster. Most people have one and never use it. If you hang a frame with bees on it outside the hive and you've inadvertently missed that there's the queen on there .. drop her in the grass and you are in trouble !

Have a dummy board in the hive, take it out to make space, then look at one frame at a time - putting each frame back in the hive when you've inspected it. At the end of the inspection push them all along in one go - not one at a time - less bees crushed that way. Replace dummy frame at end of hive.

If for some reason you do want to keep a frame outside the hive for any reason, shake the bees off it and either lay it flat over the top of the hive. rest it an an angle in the upturned roof or if you really must - prop it against the hive stand.

If you want to take photos .. design a frame hanger that allows frames to sit above the hive so that any bees (or the queen) drop down into the hive not on the floor.

JBM's not a troll .. lots of good sense if you have the sense to read it.

Now, Pargyle: That's an explanation.

That all makes sense. It actually tells me something and most importantly, tells me why! As much as I appreciate all the "I don't have one, so why should you?" responses, I appreciate your explanation even more.

When it comes to jenkinsbrynmair I'm beginning to understand his sense of humor, so my apologies all around. (Tho' I will probably stay sensitive to perceived trolling... It's in my nature. The scorpion and crocodile and all that...)

Every beginner thinks a frame holder is useful but, in reality, they are a recipe for a disaster.

Why recipe for disaster??? Please explain.
I've found them useful, but not essential, and never had any disasters using them.

Why recipe for disaster??? Please explain.
I've found them useful, but not essential, and never had any disasters using them.

Do you ever read more than one line of my posts ?.. I really wish you would put me on your ignore list or better still .. go somewhere else.

Latest posts

Back