Frame Feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives
I am going to make a frame feeder tonight from softwood & ply, it’s only really for temp use for some queen rearing. However I wondered what I should seal the inside with, wax is a possibility, what do you do, coat it before assembly?
I am not so concerned about leaks, it’s more to prevent mould.
Any other suggestions are welcome, thanks.

When finished...fill it with cork floats or nylon garden mesh or lots of twigs or whatever. They need something to hang onto otherwise you'll have drowned bees all over the place.

Glue well and paint inside with masonry paint for grip (+ Bf's advice). Put Apiguard in the water. Stops mould and fights varroa.

The one I made I gave the plywood inside faces a coat of marine varnish before assembly - nailed the plywood onto the softwood side bars and bottom but I put clear silicon sealant on the mating surfaces. No leaks at all. As said .they need a float of some sort or you will get drowned bees. I just floated a thin lath of hardwood in the syrup with a few holes drilled in it.. seemed to work fine. If I can find it in the pile of stuff I rarely use I'll get a photo and post it. I use nuc sized top feeders these days .. more convenient and no need to remove the crownboard.

I didn't get any mould problems - I don't think the syrup was in there long enough.

I make mine from WBC ply, marine varnish and after 3 days drying then dribble molten wax around all the internal seams.

Works a treat and easy to do: no leaks..

Latest posts

Back