Frame cleaning in a Dishwasher

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
More than a hundred...Langstroth Jumbo
I am about to start cleaning some old frames using an old Dishwasher .
Anyone got any suggestions about which cleaning agents I can add ?

Caustic soda would be very effective. It will take off propolis and wax. Only issue is how long the dishwasher will last with caustic soda in it - plus the fumes would not be nice on a hot wash.

I suggest washing soda but the first time try just normal dish washer powder. I suspect this will work well, especially on the hottest wash although hot programmes tend to be the longest and may not be good for the wood or any glue used in the frames.

Surely if dishwashers take the shine off glassware, softwood frames are going to be ripped to peces in pretty short order? Best bet would be to register on the local freecycle website and bid for an old Burco. I got one and it does the job brilliantly. I also have a dishwasher that came with house but we rarely use it - 3 times in 3 years at Xmas. Would like to get rid altogether but you know what women are ................................ Might come in useful one day etc

i just use a standard dishwasher tablet and a cup of soda, cleans them up ok, and loosen all the propolis so even it it is not removed it can be easily scrapped off

Arfermo : i have no trouble with frames begin destroyed as it is the caustic in the dishwasher powder/tablet that eats into the glass, so a using caustic as in the washing soda burko boil is more aggressive so its less damaging than a burko boil up,

one problem, hot water and wax dont mix well, so you need to remove as much wax and wash the dishwasher out after

Last edited:
i just use a standard dishwasher tablet and a cup of soda, cleans them up ok, and loosen all the propolis so even it it is not removed it can be easily scrapped off

Arfermo : i have no trouble with frames begin destroyed as it is the caustic in the dishwasher powder/tablet that eats into the glass, so a using caustic in the washing soda burko boil is more aggressive so its less damaging than a burko boil up,

one problem, hot water and wax dont mix well, so you need to remove as much wax and wash the dishwasher out after

The Burco I have allows a choice of heat settings, so boiling per se is not obligatory with it. Works fine for me with a little washing soda in too of course. A dishwasher tab might might also do the trick and I will try it with the redundant ones we have next time. Thanks as it could save me a few more pence from my pension. As for scraping frames, not ever again - pain in the fundamental orifice as far as I'm concerned.

I get enough grief with bee stuff in the kitchen - splashes of syrup - brushes ruined with propolis - etc. If I put frames in the dishwasher you are all welcome to come to my funeral.

We've used a dishwasher for years and some of our original glasses are as shiny as they ever were*. Modern dishwasher powders don't harm glass.

A Burco is excellent for frames and caustic soda rather than washing soda will bring the frames up like new.

*Apart from the ones we dropped.

Cannot see why a dishwasher wouldn't work.

In the more expensive compounds they put metasilicate into the recipe along with the caustic to protect glass and glazing

I use it for some kit, but usually only wax extraction stuff

Just make sure you use enough heat to stop the wax from covering any plastic items that you put in at the same time

As an alternative to the dishwasher and for those with the space: try a 40 gallon steel barrel with top 1/3 cut off and set to one side, cleaned, set on top of a gas burner and partially filled with water. Soda crystals added, burner lit, bring solution to boil and drop in the frames for about 15 minutes. Goodbye wax and discolouration. NB do this in a well ventilated area! For added finesse, make a lid for the barrel. You can use the barrel to 'boil' a Standard National Brood Box . The belt and braces approach is to then immerse the frames/brood boxes in a strong solution of hypochlorite (available from agricultural suppliers - farmers use it to clean/sterilise milking equipment - @£15.00 for 20L). The timber components should ideally be boiled again in clean water to remove chemical traces although I have also been advised that you can leave them outside to weather for a few weeks to the same effect.

Surely if dishwashers take the shine off glassware, softwood frames are going to be ripped to peces in pretty short order? Best bet would be to register on the local freecycle website and bid for an old Burco. I got one and it does the job brilliantly. I also have a dishwasher that came with house but we rarely use it - 3 times in 3 years at Xmas. Would like to get rid altogether but you know what women are ................................ Might come in useful one day etc
Why on earth don't you use it?!
Vs hand washing they have been shown to use less water, less detergent, and less energy!

Latest posts

Back