Frame Assembly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't like the idea of nailing down through the top bars into the side bars as the nails can be pulled out with downward force,

:iagree: seen quite a few of frames wrongly fixed in this way come apart at the most inappropriate moment.

And he doesn't use 14 x 12s either!

Next up will be length of brad, staple or nail, I suppose? I use the longest the shoulders will accommodate and 15/16mm for the bottom bars. Can't remember the length of the ones through the top bar.

SN1's don't need such long shoulder fixings and none through the top bar. Longer bottom bar fixings may be used on recycled frames, depending on previous use.

:iagree: seen quite a few of frames wrongly fixed in this way come apart at the most inappropriate moment.

I'd agree with you if it were done with a hammer. A nailgun with sufficient force behind it drives the staple in all the way in one blow. I use a 3HP compressor which provides a MUCH stronger joint than I was ever able to acheive using hammer and nails.....but, each to their own! :)

But how strong does it need to be?

I'm pretty certain I've never had a problem with any frame simply put together with frame nails - except where I've done it incorrectly.

No need to over-engineer a simple job.
To do so is down to personal need, not the needs of the task in hand.

I'm happy to spend time tapping away, putting frames together with frame nails.
Others have pressures of volume, of lack of time - or a need to invest in boys' toys.

As you rightly point out, each to their own.

Dusty

Last edited:
Snapped a nail once when trying to lever the frame out 1st inspection.

exactly - a nail put through end grain by whatever method won't hold and will just pull out if you have to give it some welly. That's what happened with me, having to take out some well propolised frames which had been nailed down through the top bar (not mine BTW), ended up with just the top bar and the rest of the brood frame still in situ.
Ask any carpenter and a nail into end grain is always the last option and bound to fail.

Just another view.

I like to soak the tops of the side bars in water for a few minutes. It's supposed to stop them splitting when pushed into the top bar.

With nail only frames. I found that the top/side joint shrank with time and when it came to replacing the foundation I had a wobbly frame. I am trying nails and glue for the top + side bar joint.

Just another view.

I like to soak the tops of the side bars in water for a few minutes. It's supposed to stop them splitting when pushed into the top bar.

The wood bars are not properly made if you need that

But if I have sticks from different manufacturers, and you mix them, they do not fit to each other.

Last edited:
Side bars pushed into top bar
Turn over and make sure all is square
Turn over again and place one bottom bar (opposite where wedge is)
Add to pile of twenty already done similarly.
When I get to thirty I nail them: four nails into top bar/side bar, one nail into each end of the first bottom bar
put foundation or starter strip, three nails in wedge, add the remaining bottom bar, two nails.
No glue

Yep that's how I do it.
I don't find it relaxing - just boring!
But not as tedious as cleaning frames of wax for re-use.

Err Vertical wires go from top to bottom; horizontal go side to side....

I love messing about with wood and even more so the smell of the wax foundation,but the aroma of them Cedar hives is something else, :D .
Here is how i clag them together.

nailed%20frames%20005_zpsgoio6ljv.jpg

May I ask why you nail, in effect, upward through the wedge? Isn't it easier to nail horizontally?
Which way do other people do it - upwards or sideways?

Latest posts

Back