Frame (and other kit) cleaning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moggs

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
In the hope that I can get a quick and accurate response (i.e. with no intention of starting a long and convoluted thread!) could somebody advise me on the recommended recipe for a fairly aggressive caustic solution for bulk frame cleansing and disinfection? I could press either a 5 gallon or 10 gallon boiler into service. I know it's evil stuff and am prepared for all the H&S precautions. Question is: how much and for how long?

Cheers folks!

There's information on Beebase, it's in one of the pdf 'Advisory Leaflets' near the top of this page. "Hive Cleaning and Sterilisation."
https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/index.cfm?pageid=167

Here's an extract :-
d. Boiling in caustic soda (Sodium hydroxide).
This treatment is not very practical for the average beekeeper due to the caustic nature of the bath and the problems of disposal of the used solution. It requires great care and caution. The method requires a bath of caustic soda solution, made up of 450 grams Sodium Hydroxide (available from chemical suppliers) in 38 litres of water, which must then be brought to the boil. Wooden hive parts are then immersed in the solution for between 5 and 15 minutes (Figure 4), before being dipped in clean boiling water. After drying, the parts will probably need re-nailing. When using this system you must wear suitable protective clothing, protect your eyes and use rubber gloves.

Any particular reason for choosing caustic rather than washing soda ? Caustic is very unpleasant stuff , washing soda does a good enough job on frames .

G

I am confident around chemicals but would never use hot caustic soda in a home setting. Much too dangerous.

As above, good advise on Beebase, nothing wrong with blow torch to wood, washing soda and bleach, and good old fashioned elbow grease.

Why is steam cleaning of frames not recommended? I would have thought 100c should be enough to kill most common pathogens.

T

Ahhh - didn't want to cause panic by my lack of attention to detail. Sorry - I meant 'washing' soda (which is of course, caustic but not anywhere near as caustic as caustic - if you see what I mean). Begging your forgiveness - now no caustic comments please :) Thanks for the guidance and pointers. Torq - steam cleaning doesn't give the prolonged exposure of a good boil or the fierce heat of scorching. Some of the nasties that lurk in the dark recesses of hives are very resilient and need a good punch up the throat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back