Foundation Roller?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia9801

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is there anyone who is lucky enough to have a foundation roller?

If so where did you get it from?

I'm not on about the metal foundation presses.

I do not have a foundation roller, but I have had success with a silicone mould which I made myself, to make wax foundation sheets. I used a plastic foundation as the positive mould, to make the cell impressions in the silicone material.

I've made thousands of sheets of foundations using herring plates and a mangle, it's past time I upgraded to proper rollers.
My plans took a dive when Peter Little (aka hivemaker) passed away as he was ever so generous with his time explaining the necessary processes, I have a series of photos he sent me archived on an old device I must dig out.

The metal rollers are expensive for the hobbyist, but I do remember 3D printed rollers at either the Welsh Convention or Beetradex around 5 years ago being sold for over £100. No idea if the company is still around, but here is a link to someone's work in progress.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4855653

The metal rollers are expensive for the hobbyist, but I do remember 3D printed rollers at either the Welsh Convention or Beetradex around 5 years ago being sold for over £100. No idea if the company is still around, but here is a link to someone's work in progress.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4855653
Thank you. Do you remember the company name that was doing this?

QUOTE="Olivia9801, post: 815124, member: 7678"]

[/QUOTE]

We (or rather my Division) bought a set in 2020. Had a go with a friends set and found them very good. We ordered direct from China, and although it took rather longer than first told, they arrived well packed in a wooden box. Mine are heavy, you wouldn’t want to carry them far, it takes two of us. We got ours through DHGate.com, but having just checked they have increased in price somewhat, well quite a lot of somewhat! But if you search for them online, there are a lot of suppliers. We did try going direct but got no answer from the supplier, so went to DHGate which are a middleman. I’m very pleased with them, the rollers that is.

QUOTE="Olivia9801, post: 815124, member: 7678"]

We (or rather my Division) bought a set in 2020. Had a go with a friends set and found them very good. We ordered direct from China, and although it took rather longer than first told, they arrived well packed in a wooden box. Mine are heavy, you wouldn’t want to carry them far, it takes two of us. We got ours through DHGate.com, but having just checked they have increased in price somewhat, well quite a lot of somewhat! But if you search for them online, there are a lot of suppliers. We did try going direct but got no answer from the supplier, so went to DHGate which are a middleman. I’m very pleased with them, the rollers that is.
[/QUOTE]
Sounds brilliant! I'll research but am so weary about buying from China, but its reassuring to know someone who has with no issues. How long did it take to arrive and how much did yours cost and how much was delivery?

Sounds brilliant! I'll research but am so weary about buying from China, but its reassuring to know someone who has with no issues. How long did it take to arrive and how much did yours cost and how much was delivery?
[/QUOTE]
We paid $820. We bought 450mm wide rollers. The smaller rollers do come cheaper but quite a few of us have larger frames, and the smaller rollers would mean we wouldn't get a big enough piece of wax through it. Delivery is included in that, I can't remember what it was, but not a huge amount. Like you we were a bit wary about ordering from China, so paid for it on the credit card, just in case it didn't turn up or was the wrong thing. It did take weeks for it to come, it was meant to be about 4 weeks to start off with, but ended up taking about 10. We were offered the chance to cancel the order and have a total refund, but decided to stick with it. I'm very happy with them.

Latest posts

Back