Foundation or drawn comb?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
When doing a Pagden AS in the new box what is better to use, foundation or drawn comb?

What about for housing a captured swarm?

I understand that foundation will need to be drawn, so comb will be easier on the bees (barring infected or contaminated wax) but I mean to keep the bees in the box and not have them abscond.

Foundation for a Pagden every time, you want the bees to be too busy drawing comb to think about swarming. The same for a captured swarm - at that point they are a wax making machine, stick them in a box full of foundation and watch them go - after three days you can give them a little 1:1 syrup if there isn't a strong flow on and they will draw a boxful of foundation in a wink.

Why wait 3 days before feeding?

A swarm will be loaded with their own honey. Better to have them turn it into wax to get rid of potential infections that would then be locked into the wax.

When doing a Pagden AS in the new box what is better to use, foundation or drawn comb?

What about for housing a captured swarm?

I understand that foundation will need to be drawn, so comb will be easier on the bees (barring infected or contaminated wax) but I mean to keep the bees in the box and not have them abscond.

AS - I give one or two frames of empty comb to give the queen the opportunity to start lay ASAP rest foundation, as you are left with foragers that have to return to house bee duties. I put QX on for a week if she is slimmed down to avoid them absconding/swarming.

Swarm one drawn comb or none as the swarm is full of young bees to draw comb. QX on for three days only in case she is a virgin.

Back